Need brand new pond constrution help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karlseith

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it ok to use concrete for the construction of the pond and not line it with anything? If so, is there certain types of concrete I should stay away from or types I should use?? I'm putting a small 100g pond in an old filled in well and the edges are jagged rock that I'm going to smooth out with concrete. I'm on a very tight budget and would like to avoid using those expensive rubber liners.

Thanks!
Karl

well.. i dont think there are any downsides besides it hardening your water and raising your ph. also the ground shifts every now and then and it'll crack.

My main concern was the pH issue, but if it wont effect it enough to cause a major concern than that calms my fears. I can adjust the pH regularly. Thanks for the reply.

Karl

well depending on what you are goig to put in your pond it probably wont be that important. If you are just doing Koi and Goldfish, they can handle such a wide range of PH u probably wont have any issues. I know that you could use fiberglass resin on water proof your concrete but i dont know if that would be any cheaper than Liner. You might even look into basement sealers such as DryLock, but i dont know what it is made of and may not be fish safe.

Back
Top Bottom