Need center piece fish for 20 Gallon high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krayzie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have 3 albino corys
4 ghost shrimp
1 platy
6 harlequin
6 neon tetras

I had a dwarf gourami, and I loved his colors, but I am thinking of getting something else.

Anyone have suggestions?

A Betta could work. He might go after they platy depends on the fish but everything else would be fine. Possibly a single/pair of Rams?

A single GBR or Bolivian ram would be great. A honey gourami is another safe option.

I went to aqadvisor and this is what it said about bettas

Warning: Betta [Male] is not recommended to be with Albino Cory - further research is highly recommended.
Warning: Betta [Male] is not recommended to be with Ghost Shrimp - further research is highly recommended.

It just depends on the betta's personality. You can certainly try it but just make sure you have a back up plan if it doesn't work out.

It just depends on the betta's personality. You can certainly try it but just make sure you have a back up plan if it doesn't work out.

I also have a 50gallon aquaclear filter. Wouldnt this current be to strong?

I went to aqadvisor and this is what it said about bettas

Warning: Betta [Male] is not recommended to be with Albino Cory - further research is highly recommended.
Warning: Betta [Male] is not recommended to be with Ghost Shrimp - further research is highly recommended.

In a 20g high I wouldn't see the corys being a problem. And a lot of people keep shrimp with bettas but as previously said it depends on the fish each one is different. Also as said before. Honey Gourami are a great fish that's my centrepiece in my 15g

I also have a 50gallon aquaclear filter. Wouldnt this current be to strong?

Nah, I doubt it. I have an AC50 on my 20h as well and the flow isn't too bad. You could always just turn the flow down too if worse came to worse.

In regards to the shrimp I would say they would likely become betta snacks. Just my experience.

Nah, I doubt it. I have an AC50 on my 20h as well and the flow isn't too bad. You could always just turn the flow down too if worse came to worse.

In regards to the shrimp I would say they would likely become betta snacks. Just my experience.

These shrimp are surprisingly big. I've heard both good and bad stuff about bettas and shrimp.

These shrimp are surprisingly big. I've heard both good and bad stuff about bettas and shrimp.

Ghost shrimp will get chomped. Adult ghosts might, and thats a big might be ok but you dont usually buy them at their full size. Probably not a good idea.

I landed up buying a beautiful half moon betta. I let him sit in his cup changing water for 1 1/2 hours. Right away he snapped at my female platy so luckly I bought a breeder/ isolation tank. Should I keep the betta in there? I do have another home for the platy, she can be introduced to a 55g. Maybe I should send the platy away and let the betta try it out with the tetras corys and harlequins? What should I do?

I landed up buying a beautiful half moon betta. I let him sit in his cup changing water for 1 1/2 hours. Right away he snapped at my female platy so luckly I bought a breeder/ isolation tank. Should I keep the betta in there? I do have another home for the platy, she can be introduced to a 55g. Maybe I should send the platy away and let the betta try it out with the tetras corys and harlequins? What should I do?

Yeah the platy was my only worry, you could always try the betta in the isolation tank and place it next to the other tank for a day or two and then try introducing him, if that fails I'd put the platy in the 55.
What colour is your betta? :)

For the most part he is doing ok, he does flare up at the neons once in a while and darts to break up my 2 schools. The corys he ignores, and he gets uncomfortably close to the shrimp but does nothing. I have him roaming the tank with the platy in the isolation. She is moving to a new home tomorrow! It is my girlfriends work so she will take good care of her.

2h64vvd.jpg

For the most part he is doing ok, he does flare up at the neons once in a while and darts to break up my 2 schools. The corys he ignores, and he gets uncomfortably close to the shrimp but does nothing. I have him roaming the tank with the platy in the isolation. She is moving to a new home tomorrow! It is my girlfriends work so she will take good care of her.

Wow he's a beauty, have you named him at all? My gouramis get too close to my RCS sometimes but I haven't seen any kind of nipping or chasing I think there just curious. :)

Wow he's a beauty, have you named him at all? My gouramis get too close to my RCS sometimes but I haven't seen any kind of nipping or chasing I think there just curious. :)

Yeah hopefully he is just curious. No i cant think of one yet. I have named 10+ bettas before so i kind of exhausted my ideas lol. You got anything?

Rhaegar. (Ray-gar)

Game of Thrones :) lol.

Back
Top Bottom