Need Crab ID Please! Good or Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd4g

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone ID this crab for me? Saw him tonight for the first time. The last live rock addition was in October 2005. Must have been hiding ever since. His main body is about the size of a dime, but with legs and claws he's overall about the size of a silver dollar. He appears to be fuzzy all over except his claws. The fuzz is dark brown with light tan specks. Claws are a medium shade of brown with reddish tips. He moves about the rock munching away at something (can't tell what).

Any ideas? Good or bad? If bad whats the best way to catch this guy?

Thanks!

Attachments

• crab01.jpg
    crab01.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 69
  • crab02.jpg
    crab02.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 192
Update..... Caught him in a net as he walked across the sand. Have him isolated in the QT tank. Still curious about him... good or bad?

Crabs are very hard to ID. If you have a sump or fuge, that's where I would put him. I doubt he'd be a problem while small, but all crabs, even the good ones have the potential to become a problem as they grow. You could try looking here for an ID. There are five pages.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/swcrabidfaqs.htm

There isn't really good or bad for crabs, they always could be a problem to ur tank if u have small fish such as mandarin in it.
However this one looks like algae eater mainly cuz his claw doesn't show out to be sharp tip.I wouldn't really keep it in the displaytank, put it in sump and it should be happy enough.

i think it might be a gorilla crab. especially if it has tiny looking spike on it. i had plenty in my tank (120 gal) they were fine. i had one i left in my refugium that was the size of your fist. he was awesome

Back
Top Bottom