Need cycling support

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gr8tful1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to fish keeping and trying to cycle 10 and 5 gallon tanks. They both have sponge filters, sand, and heaters that only raise temp 4-5 degrees above room temp (so around 76-78 degrees). Both have a few silk plants. I am using fish food and pure ammonia from Ace. I am using API Freshwater test kit (not the strips). I started the cycles exactly 3 weeks ago today.

Both tanks have been dosed to approximately 3-4ppm ammonia and checked daily. PH is 7.4-7.6 in both.

The 5 gallon seems to be coming along. The nitrites started to register a few days ago and are growing daily. No Nitrates yet.

The 10 gallon is doing nothing. I did a 50% water change two days ago. Yesterday there were some nitrites, but today there is none.

What should I do at this point?

I have only done fish in cycling before (mostly because it was cheaper and I dont have ammonia) but you could always go to the lfs and ask for some used filter media, it could be free or they might charge you or say no. It should give ur tanks a jumpstart.

I am new to fish keeping and trying to cycle 10 and 5 gallon tanks. They both have sponge filters, sand, and heaters that only raise temp 4-5 degrees above room temp (so around 76-78 degrees). Both have a few silk plants. I am using fish food and pure ammonia from Ace. I am using API Freshwater test kit (not the strips). I started the cycles exactly 3 weeks ago today.

Both tanks have been dosed to approximately 3-4ppm ammonia and checked daily. PH is 7.4-7.6 in both.

The 5 gallon seems to be coming along. The nitrites started to register a few days ago and are growing daily. No Nitrates yet.

The 10 gallon is doing nothing. I did a 50% water change two days ago. Yesterday there were some nitrites, but today there is none.

What should I do at this point?

Hi there!
OK, this does seem a little odd. 5 gallon sounds perfect, but 10 gallon sounds stalled.
Can you take a current pH reading for me on the 10 gallon?
Sorry I didn't see this earlier, I try to be faster with cycle help

Back
Top Bottom