need filter advice for 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have decided to set up my 29 gallon instead of my 55 since my space is limited, and I need some advice on filtration. I have ordered a metal stand which is a double stand, so I can put one of my cornsnake 20 gallon long viv's on the bottom. With this setup I definitely need to get a Hang on back filter. In the past I used two aquaclear powerfilters on my 55 gallon. For some reason I gave those away so I need to buy new filters and I have been doing some research. I want something that will hopefully take up less space and be a little easier than the aquaclear. The aquaclear was always a pain to clean because of the way the filter media was layered although I did like the versatility with being able to use my own choice of filter media. I can't use a canister filter with the metal stand either. I hate hate hate biowheel filters as well. So with that in mind, I was looking at the Aqueon filters and would like some input. Also not sure which size filter i should get. I don't want it to be too powerful and cause too much turbulence. But I also know you should go a size up to have sufficient filtration. I plan on having a sand substrate, lowlight plants, (No co2 setup) And I don't generally use airstones or air bubbles with a HOB filter and live plants. as the HOB filters generally provide just enough surface turbulence for sufficient oxygenation. Thanks for any input you guys can give me. I have been out of the hobby for about 3 years. :)
http://s.petco.com/assets/product_images/0/015905060806C.jpg

If you can't get the Fluval 305 which would be ideal, I would go with the AC 110. I have atleast a dozen Aqueon filters and they pale in comparison to the Aqua Clears.

If you do go with Aqueon, I'd recommend two Aqueon 75's, and be sure to add extra media, including porous ceramic rings, in nylon bags to the wide open areas in the filter.

So you like aquaclear better than aqeoun? The Aqeoun appears to be something that would take up less space that was one reason I was looking at it. But I like the fact that the aquaqclear has that nice big sponge that I leave in FOREVER. The aqueon seems to have a combined carbon and sponge filter and I don't like to have to switch out the sponge, and I know the activated carbon can't be left in too long or it will start to leach chemicals back into the tank.

I was also looking at a cheaper option to get started , the whisper HOB filter by tetra. It is cheap, so i wouldn't expect very good quality. but I am trying to spend less than $200 in getting this setup started. the stand I ordered was around $50. I still need to order a freshwater test kit, i got a glass hood and am going to be using a florescent light i already have. Heater was 20 bucks, I need to order a mag float, and I am going to get sand substrate from home depot. Oh and i need new thermometers.

Isn't fluval a canister filter? or do they make a HOB version?

Yeah, Fluval is Hagens canister filter and Aqua Clear's are their HOB's.

I do like Aqua Clear better than Aqueon, and I think the majority of hobbyists who have experience with both would agree.

I think the Aqueons would take up more space because you would need two of them. Also because of that, end up costing more. Also the filter flow from two would be too strong for a 29 and they would need baffled. The AC 110 would give you the best filtration for the least money, and would also provide adjustable flow, which is a great perk for a 29 gal. As you pointed out the filter media is so much easier to work with the AC's as well. Amazon has an awesome deal on it. I've shopped around alot and haven't found a better deal on Aqua Clears or Fluvals anywhere. You can also pick up a test kit on Amazon for about $25 typically. Often less though on allpet.com or fosterandsmithaquatics.com, so if you need other supplies as well I would recommend shopping those sites. I think you can get everything within your budget. :)

I trust Hagen.
I use all their filters! They are very efficient and quiet.

For small tanks less than 70 gallons, I'd recommend their HOB filters (Aquaclear)
For larger tanks, their canister filters (Fluval) are great.

The only other plus I noted about the aqueon is that it has a self priming pump. I actually found an old aquaclear 50 when I was going through my old supplies so I can use that for now. That should be sufficient for a 29 to start with as long as I keep the stock low. I put my order in on drfosterandsmith. I got a metal stand, glass hood, thermometer, heater, magfloat, prime, and freshwater test kit. altogether with free shipping it was $140 which is really not bad at all. I am going to get some pool filter sand from home depot for my substrate :) and when my fishless cycle is done, the real fun starts and I get to take my kids to the local fish store :) I am so excited I wish it was up and running now. I wish I had room in our place for my 55 gallon, but it will have to sit in the garage for now and wait until we move into a bigger place...

I have found that canisters like the fluval to work great in both fresh and salt tanks. Very easy to clean and maintain. Isms if you need space this allows you to put the tank closer to the wall. And you don't have to worry about it fitting the tank.

Yes, that is true on the self priming. I was actually really surprised the first time I set up a AC that it doesn't self prime, but it's still worth it I think :)

The aquaclear 50 pumps 200 GPH; that should be plenty for a 29. Subtract the water volume lost to sand, ornaments, etc. and you won't actually have much more than 20 gallons. Not a suitable size tank for African cichlids, so you aren't likely to be stocking it heavily...
I do run an air-driven sponge filter in all my tanks (13 currently running) as backups. Most of my tanks have aquaclear hob filters, the other 4 have Eheim canisters. Occasionally an aquaclear won't restart after the power goes out (have to "bump" the impeller to restart), and the canisters do slow down as the intake sponge covers get clogged with debris. With a good-size sponge filter also in each tank circulation is always restored as soon as the power comes back on, and regardless of how fast or slow the canisters are moving water there's always enough biofiltration as well.

I have found that canisters like the fluval to work great in both fresh and salt tanks. Very easy to clean and maintain. Isms if you need space this allows you to put the tank closer to the wall. And you don't have to worry about it fitting the tank.

I can't do a canister filter because I am using a metal stand, and underneath the fish tank is going to be a 20 gallon long viv housing my 6 year old cornsnake.

No this is definitely not going to be a cichlid tank. been there, done that, and not a huge fan.

I am going to have lowlight plants, and some fish I KNOW I want are as follows:

Bristle nose pleco
cory catfish
true siamese algae eaters

I am not sure if a 29 is big enough, but i really also like clown loaches, if not, I need some sort of loach that is suitable for a 29 and that likes to eat snails. because I know with plants I will eventually have a snail problem.

I am partial to bottom feeders, I haven't really thought about what else I will put. Probably a school of some sort of tetra's. This tank is probably too small to have a pair of angels. German rams don't live very long and stay close to the bottom... oh well I am sure I will think of something. :D I will probably start with bottom feeders after my initial cycle and work my way up from there.

I think I am going to start a new thread in general discussions to get some more stocking ideas since the subject of the thread is changing... here is the link to the new thread if anyone has any ideas or would like to help me brainstorm ...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/stocking-plan-for-29-gallon-tank-169514.html#post1545407

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom