Need filtration help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

30searay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 110 gallon that i have kept up under the planted aquascaping forum page. I have had the misfortune of springing a very bad leak in the bottom of the tank - bad enough that I am concerned about repairing it. This is the link to my the old in its former life:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f98/6-month-progress-my-110-gallon-99085.html

I made a couple major errors in filtration with the original setup that I can now fix, namely the original setup had an internal tank overflow with sump system (I think its for salt water). It ran on a 900gph mag-drive pump. I lost significant CO2 as a result of the biofiltration that occurred in the sump (20lb tank only lasted 60 days average). I would like to change the tank to a traditional 110g (with no overflow) which will allow me to plant even more plants :D.

I want the biggest and best filter and pump setup for this size tank but need some assistance as I have no idea what to run on this tank. What would be suggested for this tank. The tank depth is 32 inches.

Don
Medina, Ohio

Rena Filstar XP4's.

For the money - get Eheims. Rena's used to be a great bargain, but they jacked their prices and never did outperform Eheims, it was the price point that made 'em so nice. Used to be good value in them, shame they jacked their prices.

By the way - using a tank with overflows for a planted tank can be very very useful. Skip the sump, and make inline loops. Inline loop your filter. Inline loop for added flow and all the toys you'd want to run inline, like reactors for co2, or UV...

In my 180g, I use one side for an inline CO2 reactor, run by a Mag 9.5 ;). It returns over the back of the tank and to the tank floor, where it splits into 4 jets pointed up off the substrate. The other side houses an Eheim 2260 for intake, returns split to two returns of the overflows. Fourth port is plumbed to my house for automatic water changes.

It is very nice to be able to hide all my hardware, save powerheads, in a planted display tank.

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA Filstar XP 4 Canister Filter at Big Al's Online

Rena Filstar xp4, they seem to be a good canister filter. Also some like different brands like I think the Eheim 2217, some like only certain varaitone on the Eheims(like clasic or pro or something?)
Eheim Filter 2217- Plus Kit at Big Al's Online

You can prob use 2 xp3's just fine, xp4's may be a little overkill but as many point out its basically impossible to overfilter although you can have too much water movement for your fish. People use xp3's on as small as 40gallons even though an xp2 is prob all that is needed

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom