Need for a protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1HellerofaGuy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm currently running two filters on my 55 long. I have a Fluval 306 canister and also using an Aqueon internal filter intended for a 40g aquarium. I got this to help move water in the tank in hopes of less algae. Anyway today I noticed when feeding that the surface of the water has some sort of "oil residue" floating on top?? It refracts light and to me resembles what oil looks like standing on top of water. My question is this. Is this normal? Would a protein skimmer help this situation? Any suggestions?

In my experience aquarium oil slicks result from hand lotion residue, shrimp or other meat based foods, or a substance in the tap. Unless you believe this slick is going to be a reoccurring problem, I would not invest in a skimmer. I've got rid of oil slicks by simply using a upright plastic pitcher, pushing it straight down into the tank water just breaking the surface, allowing the surface water to slowly fill the pitcher. Might have to repeat the proceedure several times in order to remove the problem. Hope this helps.

If this is a fw tank a protein skimmer isn't gonna really do much for ya. Just pointing it out as it was posted in the fw section

Back
Top Bottom