Need help changing substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b3noodles

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everybody, I have not posted in a while computer was commiting suicide, all fixed now so here goes. I have cc for substrate and I hate the way it looks now so I have decided to go with live sand. My question is how do I remove all the substrate without causing a spike in ammonia and stressing out all my fish I have another empty tank to move the live rock and fish to while I remove the cc but will the bacteria on the rocks be enough to keep the levels under control. I have no way to cycle another tank so I am kinda in a pickle any help would be great I would like to get this done before Christmas the tank looks terrible now. Thanks again, Sue

I did my 55G in 3 separate sections. I removed 1/3 and replaced with sand. Waited a week and did the next. This gave the bacteria plenty of time to migrate to the new substrate. I have heard of folks doing it 1/2 at a time, I just wanted to be safe.

One more thing, have a PWC ready and test your parameters.

Ok thanks everybody is there any way to do a substrate change all at once I have some other issues like fireworms,red slime, and green hair algea that I was hoping the change would help me cure or at least get a jump start on getting rid of these problems. Thanks again, Sue

I`m not sure about the whole tank as I have not removed my substrate but I sure would be afraid of nasties that are trapped under your CC and removing all might stir alot of it up causing a mini spike. Maybe someone with experience can answer this. Hope all goes well.

I agree with mel. The fireworms (you sure they aren't bristle worms?), will move into your LR, more than likely, if disturbed. Your algae problems are from excess nutrients...possibly built up in the CC.

I have done mine all at once and the best advice I can give if you want to do it that way is to have lots of fresh mixed water ready ...
I did it like this drain the tank into 2 or 3 tote bins
1 for fish keep a filter on it to keep the water circulated and the fish waste collected . 1 for corals PH for circulation . 1 for live rock ...next have your sand ready remove old substrate place in new live sand (no need to rinse it ) add live rock back aquascape to your likign add water (do not keep live rock exposed to air for long periods as this will cause massive die off... and a big cycle next add your corals pump water back in , then add about 2/3rds water from the fish back in add fresh mixed salt water drip fish to new perameters ... add fish back in top off with addtional salt ... keep some CC or get some live sand to seed the new stuff with have a test kit on had and extra salt water incase you need to do a H20 change ... you should have very little if any effect on your critters from this I have done it several times on the 2.5 and the 7gmb ... with no ill effects ... and no losses ... you will likely see a mild diatom bloom from this tho

Wow, sadie, I just moved my LR to one side of my tank and removed/replaced it with the new substrate, I didn't take out any fish or LR. I did not have any fatalities. My tank is a 55G.

Hee it does seem hard but it really wasent ....I did it by compleate tear down due to size of the tank but it is a viable option should they wish to do it that way ..I also figured it would not allow alot of junk from the CC to ecape to the water column and possibly give a cycle . Man I need a bigger tank *Dear santa I have been fairly good this year ..... I saw a 22 gallon cube .... *

Thanks everybody this really helps. I have a spare 55 gal tank thats empty if I took about half or a little more of the water and put it in the spare tank then transferred all the live rock and fish into it then removed the rest of the water and cc and then put in the sand,fish and live rock back in the tank with most of the water I saved finishing with fresh made salt water that should be ok then right? I really appreciate all the help. I would hate to lose my fish due to lack of experience. Thanks again Sue

You should be fine with that as this will act as a water change for you ... besure that when you put your fish into holding that you have circulation ... I would only change out about 15-20 gallons watch your peramerters closely too use a pump to add the water back and run a tandum filter to help clear the water faster leave that on for a few days as well ..to help keep the water polished and clean .... The pumping of the water back into your tank helps prevent a big sand storm ....

I just did mine last week, I didnt have time to change it out in sections so I went for broke. I drained almost all my water out, Moved LR to one side, got out my sons beach toys and went to town. The plastic shovel was excellent at getting most of the CC out, and the little HO shovel worked at getting the rest out. I then droped in 150lbs of Playsand, filled up the tank and turned on the PH and Filter! Tested the water for any spikes and I got a small amount of NO3 about 20ppm so I did a 20% PWC, problem solved. No Fish were lost and my LR is crowing more than ever! I wish I would have started this tank with Play Sand to begin with......

LOL - Over night! PH and constant changing the filter media! I'll post some pics when I finish painting my canopy.

I figured the faster I did it the better! I have noticed a drastic change in my water conditions! my LR is full of algae, although I dont know what kind. I cant tell its true color yet, I oly have the actinic lights on. Im waiting for replacement 10K's. but the Algae looks like its brown...

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the advice. Only one more question can I use regular playsand from home depot or should I use sand from the lfs I was going to integrate about 5 or so pounds of live sand do you think that will be enough? Thanks again Sue

What live sand out of the bag ? I am not sure how much bacteria is really "live" but your rocks will reseed them if you can get some livesand from diffrent systems you should be fine but the bagged stuff I am not sure what remains "live"

Back
Top Bottom