Need help choosing another Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smcoyle87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55g planted tank currently with 1 male kribensis, a rainbow shark, a few ottos and 8 rummy nose tetras. I want another cichlid to go in there because it still looks like it's lacking something.
No female Krib either, I don't want to do the whole baby thing anymore.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Cryptoheros Sajica, Cutteri, or Red Point would be my top three choices for striking color, low aggression, and great personality.

Thanks i will look into them!

Question for you.. I bought a juvenile female jack dempsey by mistake thinking it was a juvenlie blue acara. Can i keep her in this mix? Or will even a single female jack dempsey be too aggressive?

No, It will get too large and make lunch or Dinner with your Oto's first then the rest.

Smcoyle87 said:
I have a 55g planted tank currently with 1 male kribensis, a rainbow shark, a few ottos and 8 rummy nose tetras. I want another cichlid to go in there because it still looks like it's lacking something.
No female Krib either, I don't want to do the whole baby thing anymore.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Hello, came across your thread and just curious if you decided on another cichlid. I have a male kribensis in a 46 gallon with 10 tiger barbs and 1 rainbow cichlid. The rainbow seems to get bullied a little bit, so I was curious how your set up works out. Thanks!

I chose to add a Jewel cichlid. He's a juvie right now.
I think they get a bad reputation personally. Truth is that they are from the west african rivers and creeks just like the Kribensis. So by my logic, if they are okay naturally they probably will be okay in an aquarium.
We'll see though, because i have read they can get nasty as well! Haha i also added 6 red glass barbs.

Can i see a pic of your rainbow cichlid??

Smcoyle87 said:
I chose to add a Jewel cichlid. He's a juvie right now.
I think they get a bad reputation personally. Truth is that they are from the west african rivers and creeks just like the Kribensis. So by my logic, if they are okay naturally they probably will be okay in an aquarium.
We'll see though, because i have read they can get nasty as well! Haha i also added 6 red glass barbs.

Can i see a pic of your rainbow cichlid??

Ahhh Jewels are really nice looking fish! I was looking at them before I got the rainbow. Is your tank planted? I heard they dig a lot. How well is he co existing with the kribensis? My Krib rules the tank haha.

I picked up the rainbow a couple weeks ago, not sure if it's male or female. Every time it crosses paths with my krib they bump heads and squabble before the rainbow runs away.

Here's the pics, it's still quite young I think. It Changes colors very fast haha.

Attachments

• image-227061000.jpg
    image-227061000.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 59
  • image-3251395980.jpg
    image-3251395980.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 80
  • image-1592529424.jpg
    image-1592529424.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 62
Yes it's planted, I'm just hoping for the best lol. My Krib was the boss until recently. I noticed that it appears as if he is going blind : ( the rainbow shark is in charge now, because of that. The jewel is not afraid of anyone though. It's pretty cool!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120416_133909.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120416_133909.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 74
Smcoyle87 said:
Yes it's planted, I'm just hoping for the best lol. My Krib was the boss until recently. I noticed that it appears as if he is going blind : ( the rainbow shark is in charge now, because of that. The jewel is not afraid of anyone though. It's pretty cool!

Blind?? Oh man I'm sorry to hear that. Is he older or is it a random occurrence? My krib is still a juvi, he just started getting circles on his back fin a few weeks ago.

I'm currently having my first bout with the dreaded ich, (hopefully winning!) and the rainbow seems to have caught it the worst. For that reason I'm thinking it may be stressed out so I may rehome and consider another cichlid who isn't afraid of my krib. Or, just give the entire bottom of the tank to the krib LOL.

Yeah he'll flare his fins and chase other fish only to run into things. And when im feeding them food just falls right by his face, doesn't even see it. How long have you had both cichlids together in the tank? They may just still be establishing dominance you know? Ich is the worst! Good luck

Smcoyle87 said:
Yeah he'll flare his fins and chase other fish only to run into things. And when im feeding them food just falls right by his face, doesn't even see it. How long have you had both cichlids together in the tank? They may just still be establishing dominance you know? Ich is the worst! Good luck

Hmm, sometimes when mine chases a tiger barb away from his food, he'll bump into a rock or something. Hes just so fast he can't stop his self haha. But not seeing food could def be an indication.

The kribensis went in after the tiger barbs at the end of February. He was in a month before the rainbow, so I'd say they have been in the same tank now for a little over 3 weeks.

And yes, I'm currently using the heat method to kill the ich so my fish are sweating!

Nice Jewel btw, I love the vivid red color they get.

Back
Top Bottom