Need help deciding.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's about my fish selection for my 75g tank some of you have seen the thread.

I've been thinking a lot today and realized that I love the cichlids that I've been shooting for...but... I spent hours of research on live plants and have a light on my tank specifically for live plants(Finnex Planted+ 48 inch).

If I put cichlids in there and they tear up my plants then that's money wasted and hours of research wasted because I wanted some different fish.

I've already got plants I've already got a light made for them should I stick with fish that aren't going to eat at my plant and do with what I have.

Even though I love the look of cichlids I feel like it would be throwing my Plants and light out the window.

Or continue to go with cichlids.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.
~75g going to be African cichlids

Just figure out what is more important to you, the plants or the African cichlids. I keep my tank planted and I have a severum which is obviously known to devour any plant in the tank. I've been pleasantly surprised though, I feed my severum AlgaeMax pellets and some leafy greens and for the most part he leaves the plants alone. I'll come home and see a little stem floating around that he pulled up or maybe watch him nibble part of a leaf but nowhere near the destruction I've heard they could cause.

Keep the cichlids well fed, offer them veggies, and go with hardy plants. Or go with whatever plants you want and say no to the cichlids. It really all depends on what you cherish more.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Just figure out what is more important to you, the plants or the African cichlids. I keep my tank planted and I have a severum which is obviously known to devour any plant in the tank. I've been pleasantly surprised though, I feed my severum AlgaeMax pellets and some leafy greens and for the most part he leaves the plants alone. I'll come home and see a little stem floating around that he pulled up or maybe watch him nibble part of a leaf but nowhere near the destruction I've heard they could cause.

Keep the cichlids well fed, offer them veggies, and go with hardy plants. Or go with whatever plants you want and say no to the cichlids. It really all depends on what you cherish more.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the input :) I think I finally chose the plants. Didn't think I would but I have. Spent too much money on plants and a light just to have fish tear my plants up.

I've currently moved my dojo loach into the tank. He LOVES it. He's exploring all the rocks and crevices. Likes the plants too.

So far I think I've decided on parts from my original stocking plan from the beginning of the tank. This includes:

5 Boesemans Rainbowfish
2 dojo loaches
5 cherry barbs
1 angelfish
1 pearl/opaline gourami

And I'm trying to find out about a freshwater Goby. I saw one called a Blue Neon Goby but I'm getting mixed results, some saying freshwater some say saltwater.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.
~75g going to be African cichlids

If you really like the cichlids, you could do Bolivian Rams, or a single Kribensis, or a keyhole cichlid. They are all plant safe.

Only concern is the dojo loaches. I think they require lower temps than your other fish but don't quote me on that because I've never had them.

Fishobsessed7

If you really like the cichlids, you could do Bolivian Rams, or a single Kribensis, or a keyhole cichlid. They are all plant safe.

Only concern is the dojo loaches. I think they require lower temps than your other fish but don't quote me on that because I've never had them.

Fishobsessed7

They do require some lower temps but mine has done fine in 77-78 degrees.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

You should be good with Bolivian rams so you can get a little taste of cichlids. You could even do a singe firemouth. They only dig when they are spawning so if you ahve a single one it shouldn't be a problem. but if you did a FM you couldn't do the Angel.

You should be good with Bolivian rams so you can get a little taste of cichlids. You could even do a singe firemouth. They only dig when they are spawning so if you ahve a single one it shouldn't be a problem. but if you did a FM you couldn't do the Angel.

Are they the same about needing an established tank like GBR do?

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

They're a lot hardier than the GBR.

Mine were added the third time I put new fish and they've all done fine.

Fishobsessed7

They're a lot hardier than the GBR.

Mine were added the third time I put new fish and they've all done fine.

Fishobsessed7

That's great. I'll look and see if some are sold in my area. I know GBR are but not sure on them.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

I looked and Petsmart does sell Bolivians :)

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

Back
Top Bottom