Need Help Diagnosing/treating Glofish (danio)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

axpspicoli

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need some help diagnosing/treating a Glofish. First I will give details about everything....
I have a 30 gallon tropical tank which I keep at a constant 76 degrees. There <email> plants and the most recent was added yesterday. I have 5 ghost shrimp which I bought last week on a whim, 3 Roseline Sharks(Denisonii Barbs), 5 true zebra danios and 2 glofish which i consider as 2 more Danios but different color. My tank is cycled and water has been checking out great across the board.
I perform water changes 2xWeek, (condition with Prime) and as of this morning started adding Co2Boost and Seachem Flourish (dosed the indicated amount on bottle)
I have been running a penguin 150 power filter with bio-wheel and added an emperor 280 2days ago to build bacteria colony before transitioning it to my tanks primary filter.
This morning I Added additional sand to my aquarium and was sure to THOUROUGHLY rinse it beforehand.
Yesterday, replaced aquarium t8 standard bulb with F17t8 10,000k bulb for my plants and use a 6500k F17t8 under desk strip light for extra Watts/gallon.
.....I think I covered everything.......onto my problem.
This afternoon I noticed one of the glofish flashing against rocks and plants. Sometimes he would slowly creep up and give himself a rub, while other times he will put a lot of force into the "scratching". I have also noticed him gasping quite a bit. Not at the surface but just as he is swimming around. It appears as if he is yawning/clearing gills. He is a huge fat SOB and still attacks food with no malice.
He has always been kind of an A**hole to some of the other fish with his constant chasing and can be territorial sometimes. Today he ignored all other fish and just swam back and forth along the same route kind of nervously. I have not noticed much change in my other fish but saw one of the Roseline's flash 2x but seems ok and attributed it to stress from water change and sand addition.
What should I be doing to treat this? Is it Velvet? All i have on hand is aquarium salt but find myself completely indecisive on how to resolve this. I have no QT and do not want to blindly throw medications in the tank putting the others at risk. I am contemplating a salt bath in my 5g water change bucket. I have never treated sick fish because I am very new at this. any help is greatly appreciated. I want to make a decision soon in case it is contagious,

Sounds like it may be ich given the flashing. Slowly crank up that heat to as high as possible then keep it up. Any new additions recently?

PS I wont personally address the stocking but I know someone will. That being said feel free to pm me for advice on that.

I included all that info yet forgot one key thing....there are ZERO visible white spots. I thought it was ich too but i stared at this guy for hours today and couldn't even see a spec of a white spot. I read that velvet presents the same symptoms minus white spots.

Back
Top Bottom