Need help finalizing my Light Setup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
What do you think about this setup? I planned it to give me the option to keep a wide variety of corals. I need help decididing the specific parts to upgrade from the standard offering.

Description: Hamilton Technology
2 -250watt 10K Metal Halide bulbs 2-96 watt actinic PC Compact Fluorescent bulbs, 2 - 4" fans, High Quality electro-white reflector, Black Aluminum canopy. Dawn to dusk effect - one switch for the metal halides and one switch for the compact fluorescents. Includes Bulbs and Ballasts. Dimensions: L48"xW11.5"xH6.5" SHIPS DIRECT FROM HAMILTON TECHNOLOGY.

Reflector - Should I upgrade the reflector? Are polished aluminum $30 or hammertone worth the upgrade?

Ballast - I plan on upgrading to electronic ballasts. $70ea

Is HQI worth it? I think this adds about to $300!

Spectrum:

For the PCs, I plan on choosing attinics. Do I get to select a spectrum? If so, what is good for attinics?

For the MH, 65K, 10K, 14K or 20K ? I don't want the tank to look yellow or overly blue. A nice white w/ a blue tint would be perfect. Which MH spectrum should I select if I will be supplementing with attinics?

Am I missing anything?

well 10k are white, and the 14k are more white with a little blue and the 20k are really blue. i think there is a bulb camparison page on this site. some place. all mh bulbs look different so this page really gives you a good look at what each brand will look like.

I quite like the look of 10K's + actinics.. I think too much blue makes it look a little too sterile.

Back
Top Bottom