Need help is my Mollies pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hi guys i need help i have 3 females mollies and i dont know if they are pregnant and need help to tell if they are
i put 3 female and 1 male molly in a tank together on their own about 2 or 3 weeks ago and i have a feeling all of them are pregnant but i cant tell if you guys can help me out it would be much appreciated thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5368.jpg
    IMG_5368.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_5375.jpg
    IMG_5375.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5386.jpg
    IMG_5386.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 133
Looks like it

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would say so

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

would you say that all of them are pregnant?
and can you tell how long it be before they drop and get little fry:fish1::)

I would say yes all are pregnant. Also, if they become more boxed shaped then they are close

I would say yes all are pregnant. Also, if they become more boxed shaped then they are close

Alright thanks alot but i've notice that when i feed them they get more boxed shaped and their stomachs get bigger but then in the morning when i check them the boxness has decreased to how it was before i feed them (if that makes sense)
Also 1 of the females out of this group keeps chasing the other two females when it comes in sight what should i do about this?
should i be concerned?

How big is your tank? Also another way to tell is the females will become more secluded and will hide from the others if you want to save as many babies as you can put in some plants to help the babies hide

How big is your tank? Also another way to tell is the females will become more secluded and will hide from the others if you want to save as many babies as you can put in some plants to help the babies hide

Its about 20 litres and yes ive added plants to the tanks for example hornworts and anacharis.
it feels like forever that they have been pregnant it feels like they are never going to drop at this rate
Also if i fast my fish for 1 or 2 days will it affect them and the babies?

I don't believe so and okay good luck all I can say is wait

It looks like your fish have a way to go before they give birth. I have 2 that show a much more bulbous abdomen. i suspect they will give birth soon.

Occasionally I will see the pregnant fish "nesting" in little caves I have dug under some of the rocks. Not sure if they will give birth there or if they are just trying the dens on for size.

I have 4 mollies and they are fertile as can be. My 125g is a jungle and we see many little fry hiding in the java moss and plants.

My mollies chase each other constantly. Never been a problem, they might be courting. Great fun to see little fry in the tank.

I've added 5 egg laden ghost shrimp to the community, hope the shrimp fry make it.

Ahhh alright thanks a lot guess it's the wait game for now...
Mollies seem like very slow breeds hopefully I get quite a few fry out of these
Also is it good if I fast the mollies for 1 or 2 days while they are pregnant will it affect them or the babies inside them in any way?

hi guys so i woke up this morning and checked on my mollies and their stomach seem to have deflated for some reason why is this the case?
This has happened a couple of times and no they havent given birth yet
here are some pictures

All help will be much appreciated i just want little frys

Attachments

• IMG_5431.jpg
    IMG_5431.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5432.jpg
    IMG_5432.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_5433.jpg
    IMG_5433.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
They could have aborted due to stress.... Other than that I'd say they had there babies

i dont think thats the case because when they eat their stomachs become bigger and you can see the boxed stomach quite a bit

Ok hmmmm no idea I guess just keep an eye on them/for fry

I have been waiting for quite a while now and they still haven't dropped any fry and it feels like they never will I don't even know if they are pregnant.
I might just put them in the community soon...other fish breed fast than these

Well maybe you should wait a bit more because that had happened to my mom when she had her pregnant molly. She didn't have her net with her so she decided to quickly move the molly with her hand back to the main tank and then the molly gave birth to like a hundred babies IN MY MOM'S HAND. Lol it was like the funniest experience ever for her but for some reason fish are a lot more sensitive in North America so maybe you shouldn't do it with your hands:p I assure you that her fish were all healthy and lived for many years after that:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Yeah maybe i'll wait but the only thing is I've been waiting for sooo long and it feels like they are never gonna drop :/
Is there anything I could feed them to make them drop after or anything?

Yeah maybe i'll wait but the only thing is I've been waiting for sooo long and it feels like they are never gonna drop :/
Is there anything I could feed them to make them drop after or anything?

I know the feeling REALLY well lol, my guppy took six months for her to give birth, the tank seemed ideal for her but I didn't know as much as I do know as for breeding. I suggest you feed her bloodworms, I hear that really encourages them. Feed her a bit more than you might usually do and turn up the heat a few degrees. Don't rearrange the plants or anything or it might stress her out. Good luck:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Back
Top Bottom