Need help locating a glass top for 90 gallon bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teddyz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an Oceanic 90 gallan freshwater bowfront aquarium and am unable to locate any kind of top ... any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

Others will have better suggestions, but if you're desperate, you might consider going to Home Depot or Lowes and cutting plexiglass to size and shape. That might help with splashing, evaporation, and fish jumping out. Not sure how to handle lighting...

I have thought about it but am concerned about the kludginess of the finished product. Besides wouldnt plexiglass prevent light spectrum and harm my planats?

I would suggest going to a local hardware store and having a peice of acrylic (plexiglass) cut out to the right shape. But you will want a little bit over the edges so it stays on better. And make sure you leave room for the filter and other things like that. I did this for my five gallon tank, and I got 1/4 inch thick acrylic. My only problem is that it is too flimsy, so it it sagging in the middle. So I recommend getting a thicker piece. I think 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick will be enough. Just note that the thicker it is, the more expensive it is.
My plexi glass is actually crystal clear, even clearer than glass, and it allows all the light from my lamp to shine through.

Is there a reason you want a top? None of my tanks have tops on them, they're all in the closet because they're such a pain to keep clean... plus they get in the way during water changes and feeding time.

mfdrookie516 said:
Is there a reason you want a top? None of my tanks have tops on them, they're all in the closet because they're such a pain to keep clean... plus they get in the way during water changes and feeding time.

Well I don't know about the op, but I want the top to keep fish from jumping, and keep water from evaporating. (But if you do weekly water changes it doesn't matter if you have less water in the tank, because that's just less dirty water to remove.)

I need the top since I am losing gallons of water via evaporation and do not want to keep adding water as it messes up with pH. I want to stay away from plexiglass because of the water absorption will sag it and also undue light interference.

People keep saying they do this to keep fish from jumping, but in reality, there aren't many that do unless they're prompted to by poor water, predators, etc. I've lost one fish to jumping, an auratus. That was back when I first started. The ONLY other time I've lost a fish to jumping was when one jumped out of the bucket I was using to move them when I moved a few months back.

I agree with maxwellag, a thicker piece of plexiglass should not sag. And you will have to over-size it a bit and ensure room for anything hanging on the edges.

As far as evap... I can see that... however, it's not going to have any detrimental effect on your fish. Why is pH a concern? If you're using the same water for top offs, it's not going to harm your fish. But, I'm not trying to stop you from getting one, just saying you don't need to waste your money on one unless you're just set on getting it.

mfdrookie516 said:
People keep saying they do this to keep fish from jumping, but in reality, there aren't many that do unless they're prompted to by poor water, predators, etc. I've lost one fish to jumping, an auratus. That was back when I first started. The ONLY other time I've lost a fish to jumping was when one jumped out of the bucket I was using to move them when I moved a few months back.

Well my water quality is good... but when I need to move the fish out or into the tanks, they are terrified of the net and sometimes jump. I had this happen to me 10+ times. So knowing that they can jump, I don't want to take the risks of losing any.

mfdrookie516 said:
As far as evap... I can see that... however, it's not going to have any detrimental effect on your fish. Why is pH a concern? If you're using the same water for top offs, it's not going to harm your fish. But, I'm not trying to stop you from getting one, just saying you don't need to waste your money on one unless you're just set on getting it.

I agree on the evaporation thing...

I bought a used 55 g tank from a yard sale and the tops it came with were mostly black plastic and in horrible condition and I wanted glass tops. I found some on Amazon that were correct measurements I believe they're made by perfecto and are glass and fit great! As for tops I've heard there not really necessary but I'm glad I have some on my 75g because there's been many times my tiger Oscar has jumped for food or something and I heard a loud bang and when I walk into the room hes bumped one of the lids wide open, and their heavy glass! Lol! Hes a strong fish!! :)

You can try contacting Oceanic:
http://www.oceanicsystems.com/

Or, what I did when I needed a non-standard lid, contact a local glass shop that does things like shower door or mirror installation. They have the ability to cut odd sizes and/or shapes. You can purchase the hinge strips by the linear foot at fish stores or online.

The hinge I purchased was 3/16th inch, so make sure the glass company has the glass in the thickness of the hinge you purchase. Also, make sure that it is plate glass. Most glass shops will carry safety glass, which breaks in a million pieces. You do not want that.

You can purchase the back plastic strip from the same location you get your hinge in the same thickness as the hinge. I would suggest having both the hinge and backstrip previous to having the glass cut. It will be easier for them to cut a perfect fit if they have the exact pieces on hand.

Good luck.

maxwellag said:
You mean like a water changer like a python?

No an auto top off will keep your tank with a constant amount of water in it. So whenever water evaporates below a certain point it is topped back up again.

Edit: commonly used In reefs.

Back
Top Bottom