Need help on 12 Gallon Nano cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lcars

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone! Haven't posted here in awhile! I've had my 12 gallon Nano cube for about a year, however only recently have I been wanting to restock it up and get it looking cool again:) right now, I have a Pajama Cardinalfish in it with a bunch of hermit crabs, and they're all doing amazing:dance: I have a few questions and concerns though:
1) My temperature lately is higher than usual, I live in Southern California, and it's been about 80-82 in the tank. I really need to get it down, so I was wondering if I should upgrade my pump? If so, what model would be good? I'm running the stock pump and lights. And if I do upgrade it, what temperature should I set my heater? I'm using a 50-Watt
2) I've been having ALOT of red algae growing on the glass, and everyday it seems I have to clean it. Does anyone know what causes this and how I can combat it?
3) In my chambers I have: 1st Chamber: Filter Sponge and Purigen, 2nd Chamber: live rock rubble, 3rd chamber: heater and pump. Does this look ok and any recommendations?
4) Once I have everything set up and stable, I was thinking of adding over a long period of time an Ocellaris Clown and a Neon Goby (I think this might be too much so should I go with Clown + Cardinalfish or Goby + Cardinalfish), some more hermits and snails, a cleaner shrimp, and eventually some soft corals. Any changes or recommendations?
Thanks everyone for your help, keep on reefing:fish1:

In the process of setting up a nano cube 12 myself. The first thing I did was upgrade the pump to a maxijet 900. Going to be setting up the chambers about the same as yours. Also going to be upgrading the lights.

Sent from my iPhone usin

This is the one I am using:
Search on amazon for

Marineland ML90511 Maxi-Jet 900 PRO, 230/1000GPH

Sent from my iPhone usin

Ok I searched for it, however that looks like a powerhead to make water movement. Is it possible to change it into a return pump for the back chambers??? Thanks again!:D

Yeah it comes with everything for setting it up except tubing. I just happened to have some tubing that fit perfectly laying around.

Sent from the Death Star

That makes sense thank you! I will definitely look into getting one:) What stock are you planning on adding to your 12?

Been tossing around ideas but will prob go with a soft coral reef with a few of the smaller gobies, green banded and clown gobies

Sent from the Death Star

As for your stock I might just do the cardinal fish with a pair of neon gobies

Sent from the Death Star

Back
Top Bottom