Need help on deciding...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I've decided to get a PCHood for my 46G planted tank. The kind of plants I want will need a lot of light. There are three that I was looking at and I'm kinda stuck on which one to get.

One is 36inch and puts out 110W about 2.3wpg. too low?

The next one is 30inch' and puts out 130W about 2.8wpg.

The last one is another 36inch hood that puts out 192W about 4.1wpg. too high?

WHich one do you guys think I should get?

hey ace,
I'm not experienced with planted tanks other than knowing that 2-3 wpg is a good number, but you apparently know that already.

Obviously how much light you need greatly depends on what you're trying to grow though. I recommend you try making this post in the planted forum (Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks) along with a list of what you're trying to grow!

:)

-brent

Edit: well now my post seems like a strange response because you changed your first post. ;)

If you go with the 110. You will be able to grow a lot of plants.

If you go with 130 you will be able to grow just about anything.

The 192w will be hard to keep up with. No matter which you choose you will need CO2. In that size tank it will have to be pressurized.

You will also need to test water parameters often and be prepared to learn all about fertilizing.

Right now I would read the stickiess in the planted forum to get some idea of what is required and then post this question over there.

dont forget to do the coversion using the new watt per gallon rule. if it is compact flourescent 1 watt is actually equal to 1.7 watts meaning u have alot higher light than u think. if it is a t8 bulb that is 1.41. i forget what t5 is worth

Back
Top Bottom