need help, please, anyone!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imrandome1

Aquarium Advice Freak
OKay i dont really know whats going on, but i have 1 big pearl gourami and 2 blue one's, 1 big, 1 small. well the big blue one and the pearl 1 ALWAYS pick on the small blue 1. well the big blue 1 was being and picking on the pearl 1, and the pearl 1 did the same. it was really strange BUT the big blue 1 changed colour, i could not belive my eye's. il add a photo of it light blue = normal and then it picking on the pearl 1 and changing to dark blue = strange. il also add a pic of the pearl 1, is this normal or are they breeding i dont have a clue. Sorry about the terrible English i wonted to get this posted asap. :oops:

Attachments

• fish6_325.jpg
    fish6_325.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 14
  • fish9_170.jpg
    fish9_170.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 16
  • fish4_158.jpg
    fish4_158.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 17
  • fish_5_596.jpg
    fish_5_596.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 21
  • fish12_172.jpg
    fish12_172.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 16
  • fish_10_197.jpg
    fish_10_197.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 16
Well they aren't breeding. When breeding time arrives the male will try and build a bubble nest. I think what you're seeing is just typical of gourami aggression. They are quite territoreal and the smaller fish might be in danger.

OH bummer, oh well im moving the 2 big one's into my 50 gallon tank when its cycle so the little one will stay in the 30 gallon. oh well wishful thinking, thanks for the info.

What you have seen is the color change assoicated with gourami agression. Did the fish seem to change color only when they attacked. Or were they the darker color for several hours after the attack :twisted:

only when they attack, then 20-30seconds later back to normal.

Just so I'm clear...we are talking about color change in the bully,not the vic?

The pics ..1&2 are the same fish as 3&4?

And this color change comes on as fast as it passes...some seconds before the agression starts and ends soon after?

I have no answer dispite the answers to be honest..but this has me curious x2.

well i cant say bully or vic, they pic on each other but i guess 65% its a vic???? but it really 50/50 bully and vic,i think? and yeah 1&2 and 3&4 are the same fish 1&2 is it before its playing/bullying/or being bulled it always look like that BUT then 3&4 are during and for about 10-20 seconds after it changes to the darkness in about 2 seconds. 5&6 is the other fish it plays??? with.. They both bully another fish together...never have they done this before and iv had them for about 6 months.

Why was this moved its in the same place as it was????

Sounds like it could be a dominance/submissive instinct. Could be trying to establish dominance and the deeper color is the one who wins the fit or is the aggressor at that point. It could be 2 males fighting for dominance of a female. If it was me and I wanted to see if they would breed, I would seperate them somehow in the same tank and see if they build their bubble nests. If they do, then you have your answer and can choose which ones you want to breed. If they don't then it is just aggrassive posturing and if one establishes dominance then the other one is in trouble.

Oh i see hmmmmm will they be okay if i move them both into a bigger tank?? from 30 gallon to a 50 gallon?cuz i cant move only 1 cuz they both bully another one, so i was planning 2 move them both into another tank, so the little one is not bullyed ALL THE TIME poor thing?

well i have had four now three dwarf gouramis. all males no females.
they build bubble nests all the time.
and they are aggressive but not to the point im worried about.
they just are being territoral
and i think if you move them to a bigger tank it shouldnt be such a problem

cool il be moving them in about a month when the tank has cycled. I would like to hear from "SCFatz" to see what he or she thinks about my fish, oh and WHY was i moved to the same place????? this is were i started this post and i was moved to the same place?

yeah it says "movedneed help, please, anyone!!!" okay its also in the "general discussion, i cant remember were i started it, sorry if i got it wrong i'm kinda confused whats happened i dont now where the topic is or ment to be, sorry im new at this posting thing. anyway, i would like to get some more opinions about the fish please, i dont now what to do with them move, them into a bigger tank, will that stop them trying to kill each other.... im confused :oops: :cry:

I would like to hear from "SCFatz" to see what he or she thinks about my fish

Its he.

And I'm not sure what to make of it honestly.Generally speaking fish will lose ther colors when stressed due to a variaty of reasons...illness,water quality,being bullied ect.

This is the first time I've heard of a fish "coloring up",kicking butt for a while,and then "coloring down".
Whats even more curious to me is how fast the color change occurs.

When I said I was curious x2 I meant that I was really interested in the answer to this one myself.

My steel blue gourami gets very dark of they get freaked out but will calm down within a minute and go back to normal, depending on the trauma o.o

lol, dont worry, thanks for your opinions people. il get some pics up of my new tank now that iv got my plants in. I guess nobody really knows why, well not why but how the colour get so dark so fast and then back again, iv im lucky ill try and get a vid of it and il let you now, SCFatz.

iv im lucky ill try and get a vid of it and il let you now, SCFatz.
That would be absolutely outstanding!!

No doubt more space will help wth the aggression....and add some tall stuff to limit eye contact if possible.

just for you SCFatz il try lol don't let me 4 get if i havent within a week just send me a little reminder. i am forgetful, very!!! lol

BOTHER i was so close ran out of film grrrrrrrrr lol

That is pretty common; especially with male opaline gouramis. I had a male opaline who would turn very dark blue when he would get in a rowdy mood and chase the other gouramis. Seconds after he calmed down, his colors would go back to normal.
I currently have a male lavender gourami who turns a very dark purple when he does this same thing.

Back
Top Bottom