Need help puffer ID/ misled by lfs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bryakwheel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was told these were freshwater puffers and that as long as I fed them enough brine they would be ok with my tiger barbs, pictus catfish, dwarf frogs and redeye tetras (29 gallon tank I keep around 80 F).

Looking around they seem like they might be green spotted puffers? which need saltwater? And can grow to 6"? It seems none of my other fish could tolerate brackish water. Right now they are still just about 1". If I have to move them (to add saltwater) would they be ok in a 10 gallon tank for a month or two until I get a bigger tank for my catfish? If they are GSPs and do grow to 6" how big of a tank do they need ultimately?

Right now they are doing fine and so is everyone else but I would like for everyone to stay healthy and be good long term.

Any help is appreciated.:thanks:

Attachments

• IMG_3806.JPG
    IMG_3806.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3816.JPG
    IMG_3816.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3828.JPG
    IMG_3828.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 88
Yes they are green spotted and need brackish water when they are younger and progressively switched to saltwater as they get older. They also need snail or other creatures with hard shells in their diet in order to keep their beak from over growing. They can survive in freshwater for a short period of time but most likley not for more than 3 or 4 months. Hope this helps!

Yes, your fish shop lied to you to make a sale.

Or, they are so ignorant of fish keeping that they also didn't know.

Either way, it's a sign they aren't a good place to get advice from.

Well, 4" is a bit more typical than 6", but they do have the potential to grow to 6". In addition to the advice above about saltwater and snails being necessary in their diet, they are also notorious nippers, regardless of how well they are fed. The spines/barbels/fins on yer pictus cats, the fins on the barbs and tetras, and yer dwarf frog's limbs will all become targets.

WYite

You should call that fish store and let them know you want to return or exchange the GSP. The GSP is definitely not suitable for your tank.

Thanks. So I have two of the little guys for now... Will they be ok in a 10 gallon (for a month or 2) and then eventually a 29 gallon? Or will they need an even bigger tank when they are full grown? Too bad about the lfs...seems kinda dumb to lie to make an $8 sale. oh well.

In terms of the food to keep their teeth in check....Is there a particular type for them when they are this small? That is does it need to fit in their mouth or do they just chew on it?

They are cool fish and my wife loves them so if I can transition into taking care of them properly it would be great.

I don't think the GSP's would work in a 10g.. They produce a lot of waste and ammonia. You'll have to do partial water changes every other day with excellent filtration as a temporary solution if you're intent in keeping them. You should just return them and get Indian dwarf puffers. You can have 3 in that 10g and they are completely FW. If you want a puffer that looks like the GSP but won't grow as large and won't need full on marine SW as adults, you can get a Figure 8 puffer. They require minimal brackish conditions with relatively low specific gravity.

Just feed your puffs some snails on occasion to help with their beaks. Although, I've read that Indian dwarf puffs don't experience the beak overgrowth as with other puffs.

Return these fish unless you are willing to set up a 60g or bigger tank (for 2 GSP) full marine water as the next upgraded tank. Don't convert slowly from fresh to brackish to salt. Its a big pain in the behind. Get it done with marine water and never have to worry about it again.

Back
Top Bottom