Need help starting my new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManiacMagoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting my new tank built now. It will be 72" L x 24" W x 30" . I will be using eco complete as a substrate since I plan on covering or trying to cover the bottom of the tank with mixed grass beds. Filter wise I am either going to run 2 or 3 Fluval FX5's. I know over kill but I like to have to much filter since I will be trying to cram as many community fish in this tank as I can. I'm going to do a foam background along with planting pots in it for plants. I will be running CO2. I currently have 2 10lb bottles so if one runs out I will have a spare. I'm still trying to decide whether to use inline heaters or not. I went to my lFS and they didn't know much about planted tanks.

So I'm thinking of getting a big lighting system around 500-600w since I know my tank is alittle taller and will need more light to hit the bottom or do you think I could get by with less? I will be heavily planting this tank aswell. It has been a few years since I've done the planted thing. I was also curious if anyone runs a drain setup like a wet / dry for a canister filter? I'm trying to keep the ammount of equipment minimal on the inside of the tank.

As of right now I have 2 angel fish, 2 gold gourmi's, 6 neon rose barbs, 4 cory cats, 1 rainbow shark, and 1 pleco currently in my 55g tank to help get my filters established to cycle my new tank faster. I'm sure that I'm forgetting something but I want to get this setup the best I can the first time so I won't have to worry about upgrading anything afterwards or wishing I would of. So what would be the best if there is one. :lol:

Instead of an in-line heater, you could hide the heaters behind the background in carved pockets and force current through those spots. You could also use the background to hide the intake and return of the cannister filter(s). For example, check out what Sulla did with his project.

While the tank is tall you don't necessarily want to overdo lighting. Better may be to use a light that is reported to penetrate water well, such as T5/T5HO or MH.

Wet/Dry is unnecessary in a heavily planted moderate bioload tank. If you just want to use the drain method for a sump, you can hide the overflow or standpipe with the background. Then it would be wise to add a sump and just do all your filtration and hide your heaters there if wanted. Here's some thoughts on sumps/fuges and wet/dry in planted a high light planted aquarium if wanted, though these opinions and experiences were formed with tanks much much smaller in scale. Since it seems you only want to hide equipment, a sump isn't necessary since you can use the background, but a sump has many benefits.

In regards to planting pockets, you may want to consider pinning Anubias and Java fern to the background wall as well. Also check out how well Glitch hid piping and incorporated planting levels in his corner tank.

Yeah those 2 threads where the ones that gave me the big ideas on the background idea. I was thinking of something similar to Sulla's face but have the shoot out through the nose holes to keep them all hidden. I was mainly just curius if a drain would work or not with a canister so I can have it all plumbed through the bottom of the tank instead of hanging on the back. I haven't ruled a sump out but just trying to figure the best way to handle it. I'm not to worried about hiding as more of keeping the plumbing half organized and simple.

Back
Top Bottom