Need help. Trying to cycle with fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edisondave

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got my first real fish tank for my family to enjoy, a 55 gallon. Im trying to get it cycled, im three weeks in with first 10 days no fish, then added 3 black tetras and 3 zebra danios. I started out using the test strips(garbage), and just got the masterkit which is 100 times better. I've been doing about a 20% water change like every other day which has been keeping the ammonia between 1 and 2. So my questions are should I keep doing what im doing or do I need to change something. Also when I do the water changes I dont vacume the gravel, should I be , or does that need to be left alone for the good bacteria to grow? I also have the emperor 400 filter, I shouldnt change any filter pads or mess with anything in there til I get it cycled right? Last question, how high can I let the ammonia levels get and do I nedd to keep them around a certain level to get the nitrites going? I appreciate any help I can get, thanks.

dont vacuum the gravel or change the filter pads. I use CYCLE to help get my tanks established once the fish get added to it, its "good" bacteria.
I think once they hit certain levels others kick in to equilize the tank.

Back
Top Bottom