Need help with a diagnosis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all.
Typically in pretty good at identifying the common fish illnesses, but I was a bit unprepared for this.
We went out of town for the weekend and a non-fish keeper took care of the animals while we were gone. I was mostly worried about the saltwater tank, but it seems the freshwater tanks suffered.
My female gbr that I've has for about a year had died, which I was pretty upset about. I noticed my 55 gallon was a bit cloudy, but I changed the substrate a couple weeks ago and thought it was a bb bloom. I got up this morning and the smell was pretty terrible. The water looks almost milky. The fish were all breathing at the surface. They were a bit hard to see but I could tell the gills were not red. I had to go to class before I could do anything but when I got back one of my show size male angelfish was dead. I examined him pretty thoroughly. I could not find any ich or other parasite type abnormalities. The only thing that looked off (other than being dead) were the gills, which were flared, grey, and slimy looking. I turned the heater up to about 84-85 F
I'm going to add a few airstones when I get home
Any ideas on what this could be?
I really don't want to lose my other angels or other fish.
I'll get some pic as well when I get home

Too much feeding and bad water quality? I am a newbie but that is my guess. I am sure others will be much more helpful! Sorry for your loss :(

Over feeding was definitely a culprit while my neighbor was watching them. There was food debris on the bottom of all of my tanks. That might have contributed to it but I don't think that was the cause of this, as there isn't ammonia and barely any nitrates in the water.
I'm uploading a video of the tank now..

My guess is what jlbish suggested. Have you tested the water just to see if anything spiked? I'd do a large water change (at least 50%; or a couple of 50%) and thoroughly vacuum the substrate and test the water. If nothing else is off as far as ammonia, etc., just wait and see if anything else develops.

We posted at the same time. :) Well, it could be overfeeding I think still; two days isn't much time, it's possible the bacteria were consuming most of the ammonia. I have no idea though. Did he do anything to the tank while you were away? Touch the filters? Add anything to the tank that might have contaminated it? I'd at least start with some water changes.

Ammonia was <.25 ppm when I got home.
I did about a 50% PWC and now it's down to zero, all other params are normal.
I don't think she did anything. She's elderly and only fed them.
Hopefully this video will help clear things up if it would hurry up and upload :I

I honestly wouldn't keep the fish in that tank any longer. I'd quarantine every one of them and clean that tank out well. I'd also take a water sample and look around for some people who know a lot about fish illnesses, and have them run tests on it. I'd also treat the one for fungus before it gets worse (It does look like velvet to me.)

I'd hate to see you lose more fish D:

I moved the angelfish and gourami to a hospital tank, everyone is looking a bit better but I'm definitely not in the clear yet. The tank is much less cloudy as well
I'll post updates as they come
I think velvet is the main culprit

Back
Top Bottom