Need help with a loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mustangman11224

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all.

I don't know what type of loach this is, but he is doing some weird things. First he keeps trying to get into my filter exhaust. He gets pretty far in and I don't want him getting into my filter why is he doing this. Also he is digging out the corners of my tank. Is he not happy in my tank, or are these normal behaviors. Here's a couple pictures of him.
Thanks for all the help
Dan

Attachments

• image-535820662.jpg
    image-535820662.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 70
  • image-2793675381.jpg
    image-2793675381.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 73
  • image-117061710.jpg
    image-117061710.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 53
  • image-2910232211.jpg
    image-2910232211.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 61
  • image-1435019156.jpg
    image-1435019156.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 60
Hmm, looks like an Angelicus loach. They like to be in schools of at least 3, the more the better. I have always wanted a school of these in my 75 but I can never find any. Also they are known to be the most peaceful loach. I've never kept them so no personal experience this time, just what I found off of Aquarium Information. What size tank you got him in? He may be stressed since he's alone but The trying to get in the exhaust pump beats me.

He is in a 75 gal tank... I'll have to ask the guy if he can buy 2 more he only had one... He seems to be burrowing under everything, which is fine with me I think it's cool, but I don't want him getting stuck in the exhaust lol, everytime he goes missing I worry he's in the filter or stuck somewhere. He is a mischievous little guy... I also saw him just now trying to get into the intake, but he can't get in that its got a screen around it... I might just pop into my hardware store and get some PVC pipe with a slight elbow and Burry the strait part and have the openings sticking out this way if he wants to go in a tube he can go in that...

Yes just work on getting him in a school and he should be ok. I love the fins on these guys, it's amazing. In my book those are the coolest loaches.

They defiantly are very cool, and I'll ask my lfs to order two more. U said u never can find any, maybe your fish store can order you some. Most of the time they can order just about anything.

I have one as well, did not know they like to be in groups at the time. Mine is always hiding, only see him now and then, is there no real hiding places for him? My tank has fake plastic decorations, fish can get inside of them and hide forever. I thought my Clown loach had died, turned out he had been hiding in one of the decorations. It was like 3 weeks since I had seen that thing.

Lol. This little guy usually comes out at nite. There are lots of hiding places but I have lots of fish so maybe he feels there's not enough hiding places. I'm ganna do that pipe thing and hide it under my sand. Does anyone know of paint that is safe for being in aquariums?

Id give you my Angelicus if you were any where Ohio, I wanna trade him in or get rid since I had learned he needed more. I have since gotten a bunch of Corys and dont have the need for so many bottom feeders.

I have 6 Angelicus loaches in my 220g. Checking out and rooting under things on their constant quest for food is quite normal. Watch him and your outflow pipe as they have been known to go up them and get into the filter. They love to poke around and go in every nook and cranny they can and they have been known to get stuck so be careful not to use décor that one can get in but not out. He is probably hiding due to lack of safe hiding spots and the fact he is alone. They are very social and when in a group are quite a hoot to watch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom