Need help with crab...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. I recently aquired a Tai Devil Crab, also known as a moon crab or soapdish crab. She is in an unfiltered 10 gallon with about two inches of water in the bottom.

First off- should I get a small submersible filter for her? or would the water currents agitate her?

Second- the lfs said she's a freshwater crab, but I read online that they need brackish water. Then I read on another site tha either is fine. Does anybody know? If brackish, how much salt should I put in?
Any info would be great.

They are brackish. You need to add marine salt to the water. I would imagine it needs a beach type area to get out of the water as well. I do not know how much salt a teaspoon a gallon would be a good start. Be sure to replace with each water change. I think a filter would be a necessity.

Brackish tanks are a PITA. I loved mine when I kept bumble bee gobies, but you need some SW equipment and the information out there on brackish tanks is little and conflicting. With only two inches of water in the tank, it may not be worth filtering; two PWC a week might be fine. For that amount of water, buying marine salt will be quite an investment--you will never use it all. If you know someone with a SW tank, ask for some salt. I used a salinity gauge to measure how much salt to add. I cannot remember how much went into 30 gallons, but it wasn't much--a cup, maybe two...and that was to start the tank. After a PWC, you only add what you take out.

Back
Top Bottom