need help with few things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fizzybeef

Aquarium Advice Newbie
need help with some things in my month old tank.
i bought a 70L tank a month ago from my local petshop, this was my first ever tank and i have had no experience with fish keeping so i follwed some instructions the guy in shop told me to do.

i was told to do a fishless cycle which i did and it took just over 2 weeks. i took a sample of water to fish shop and he had said was fine so i got 4 fish that day. think they are 3 guppies and another i dont rember.

i had them a week and everything seemed fine in tank so i got 2 cat fish which one of my cat fish did not live long when i got him in tank he was swimming upside down and on side alot and about 2 hours of having him it died.
i checked my water straight away and i had ammonia reading of 1.0 which i am not sure why it has gone up. i habe been feeding them teice a day which says on fish food but ive since read that im ment to feed every other day.
i just wanted some help on what i can do to get my ammonia back to 0 asap. i did a 50% water change yesterday and did a 25% one today and ammonia is at 0.5

How exactly did you do your fishless cycle?

In short, the only way to get ammonia down is through water changes. Keep changing out 50% of your water with at least 2 hours between changes until your ammonia is at 0.25ppm

i added ammonia to tank till it was at 4.0, i used kleen off brand one, i kept it at 4.0 everyday till there was 0 ammonia in tank and then topped it up to 4 again and it went back down to 0 within 12 hours which the people at fish store told me that it was completed.

i tested water again today and its gone back to 1.0 ammonia seems everytime i do a water change it goes back up

At a guess, with very little information, I would say that you're over feeding the fish. Maybe some food is not eaten and left to decay?
The hardest part of fish keeping is cycling a tank and keeping it cycled.
The second hardest is correct feeding, nearly always over feeding being the problem. Fish food is very concentrated and the fish really don't need very much at all. Feeding twice a day is not a problem, it's the quantity that counts. Feed a very little and see if it's all gone in a minute. If it is, then try a little more. If the fish aren't as keen as before then stop there. I have 15 Cardinal Tetras in my quarantine tank. They get fed one piece of flake, crushed up, twice a day. Any more than that and they ignore it. Missing a day once a week in an established tank is also good for the fish although hard for the owners.
Hope that's of some help.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom