Need help with lighting!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikezilla89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i'm starting a new tank which i plan on being heavily planted. However i'm at a standstill with the lighting. Its gonna be a 29g and i'm hoping to get some opinions on different types of fixtures and what my best option would be. The plants i plan on having need mostly low-medium light. I was also wondering if actinic light is useful at all for freshwater plants, any help would be greatly appreciated!

i have another post on my whole setup plan
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/my-new-tank-design-plans-ideas-and-input-please-169794.html
feel free to check that out too :D

No, actinics will do little for fw plants. Some people have said they'll survive on actinic lighting, but the spectrum is just way off. In a 29g, a 2x24w T5HO fixture would be a good option. You could do one daylight (6500k-10,000k) and one actinic for low-medium light, then you have the option of replacing the actinic with a daylight if you decide to go on up to higher lighting. FWIW, I'm running 2x24w on my 29g and it's doing a fine job for some plants that are typically said to require higher lighting (pogostemen erectus, blyxa japonica, rotala wallichii, dhg, ghg).

Ended up getting a 2x24w t5 ho fixture, it came with one 10000k daylight and one actinic, and I replaced the actinic with a 5000k flora sun bulb

That will put you at medium-high to high light. Hope you have plans for CO2 unless you're going to hang it.

aqua_chem said:
That will put you at medium-high to high light. Hope you have plans for CO2 unless you're going to hang it.

Yep- 2 T5HO over a 29g definitely puts you at "high light" if both bulbs are on at the same time. Without CO2, be on the lookout for a BBA (Black Beard Algae/Brush Algae). Low or unstable levels will seriously promote it. Also- depending in the plants, ferts are going to become necessary.

That being said, you now should have enough light for pretty much any plant you have an interest in!

Yep- 2 T5HO over a 29g definitely puts you at "high light" if both bulbs are on at the same time. Without CO2, be on the lookout for a BBA (Black Beard Algae/Brush Algae). Low or unstable levels will seriously promote it. Also- depending in the plants, ferts are going to become necessary.

That being said, you now should have enough light for pretty much any plant you have an interest in!

Ferts are required regardless with that light.

Back
Top Bottom