Need help with plant id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bparker333

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My girlfriends brother gave me some plants and bulbs and I don't have a clue on what type of plants these are. Your help is greatly appreciated.

plant_01.jpg
plant_02.jpg

The top one is a Madagascar Lace plant.. :)
And the bottom one looks like a Spathiphyllum, which isnt an aquatic plant... some fish stores try to sell them before they die, to make money off a bunk product! but.. I am not entirely sure and others will chime in about that!

lace plants are beautifull but get pretty big. and i agree on the one on the right being an anubias. could you take a pic from the side to prove it?

Madagascar Lace a little tricky but a very nice plant. plant the bulb in the substrate. the other one anubias looks to be some barteri species. its a real low light easy plant. best to tie it on to a rock or driftwood.

I agree that the plant on the right is either non-aquatic or the leaves shown are the result of above water growth. This plant was probably grown in a greenhouse in Florida under humid conditions. It will most likely start to deteriorate in the next few weeks and try to grow "aquatic leaves". Many plants that grow in water are capable of producing leaves for growth under water and leaves for growth above water. It may die during this attempt to grow the under water leaves as it won't be able to get much energy from it's current leaves.

*drools* over the lace plant..lol. I'm with the others in thinking the one on the right is a type of anubias. I do not believe that it is non aquatic because it has a new leaf coming out and it's roots are healty as well as appears to be on a rhizome. It looks identical to one of my anubias's, however I don't know the name of it.

Back
Top Bottom