Need help with Planted set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedNeck

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 gal. betta tank with sand substrate. I would like to plant it but have a few concerns/questions. Right now the tank has a 15W T8 for lighting. Its a Aqueon deluxe kit. I have added a bubbler in it because I had this clear slime forming ontop of the water and was told it was from not enough surface aggitation. One day after running the air bubbler it went away. Now I was talking with freshobsessed and I relize I will probably need a new t5 lamp...what wattage? I also understand I will have to do away with the air bubbler. My only concern is the slime comming back. I want a low tech planted tank because I don't want to have to mess with co2 injection yet. Any tip or suggetions?

I was thinking the exact same thing for my 10g betta/frog tank. I have some floating hearts (which I learned later is also called frogbit) that are growing quite fast and they have only been in there about a week. My lfs plant guy is very knowledgeable and has told me he can get me pretty much anything if I give him a day or 2. I've been thinking of java moss too but haven't done it yet, mostly because it wasn't avail when I was at the store.

Ok but do I need to get a new light. The one I have right now is a 15W T8. Also is it a must to shut down my air bubbler? How about co2?

It's not as simple as buying a t5 lamp. You would either need to buy a new fixture or retrofit t5 end caps and ballast into your existing fixture. If you don't want to add co2 then don't get a t5ho light though.

Like Emerald76 said I would start with java moss, java fern, anubias and try your current light first. As far as your bubbler, I don't see why you couldn't keep it.

I got one more........should I bother with that api co2 in a bottle or fertilizer?

As far as I know, 15W in a ten gallon gives you low to moderate light. You should be able to grow a good amount of plants in that, crypts, swords, java and Anubis. Just research plants before putting them in, just like fish. You would only need CO2 if you jumped up to 25 - 30W. To my knowledge low light= one watt per gallon. Medium light = 2 WPG and high is 3 WPG. hope I helped

The old watt-per-gallon rule breaks down on smaller tanks. 15w of t8 over a 10g is definitely low light. You can certainly add the api co2 solution, sure. It will be a source of carbon for the plants and it has the side effect of helping to control algae.

Ok... got these two anubias sp. plants from the lfs. I also bought some api liquid co2. I will test my green thumb with these two before I get more! Stay tuned for updates!
60630-albums9307-picture38258.jpg

Looks real good! A stem plant that I like is Anachris. It can grow in substrate, shoved into holes of rocks and driftwood or float. I have it in my 10 gallon anchored all 3 ways and it grows fast with low light. Very easy plant

Now that I have the plants in the tank.....with them being low light, should I be more specific to how long I have the aquarium light on?

Now that I have the plants in the tank.....with them being low light, should I be more specific to how long I have the aquarium light on?

I would run them around 8-10hrs a day. Install a timer if you don't already have one.

Ok cool. I think I will go buy a timer. I feel bad leaving the fish in the dark:hide: haha

RedNeck said:
Ok... got these two anubias sp. plants from the lfs. I also bought some api liquid co2. I will test my green thumb with these two before I get more! Stay tuned for updates!

I think you planted your Anubias too DEEP !!
Looks like it from the pic.

Never cover the rhizome on Anubias or Ferns.
It is the thick "root" that has little roots coming off of it. It will rot underground.

That is why most of us tie or glue Anubias to rocks, wood, or decor. If you want them planted, just the tiny roots. Or use a small rock to weight it down.

If you want to try Crypts, just add root tabs. Awesome plants.

I think you planted your Anubias too DEEP !!
Looks like it from the pic.

Never cover the rhizome on Anubias or Ferns.
It is the thick "root" that has little roots coming off of it. It will rot underground.

That is why most of us tie or glue Anubias to rocks, wood, or decor. If you want them planted, just the tiny roots. Or use a small rock to weight it down.

If you want to try Crypts, just add root tabs. Awesome plants.

Hmmm...crap :( so I need to just put a big rock on that rhizome? Now I have to find a little rock:ermm:

Yea this is probally way to deep then:ermm: What kind of glue does everyone use?
60630-albums9307-picture38259.jpg

Back
Top Bottom