Need help with purple vampire crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok no i really dont have tons of money these items are what other people told me i needed. Can you 2 tell me what exsacally i NEED to copy pvc natural habitat. I want there home to be purfect for them. And you think 12 crabs will be fine in a 40 gal. Would it be ok to get afew more crabs when tanks ready then get a few more a few months later as there $12.99 each here. I know thats not a bad price but i dont want to get to many and have them die on me.
Yes, you don't need to add them all at once. I would actually wait a few months after buying the first few to see if they survive for you. I paid $12.99 ea for them locally as well and lost all but one that I purchased.

To copy the natural habitat--since they're tropical crabs, plants, soil of a mix that can support plants with plenty of drainage and allow them to burrow (siva's works well, but you can go simpler--they use potting soil and sphagnum moss by themselves for fiddler crabs to burrow in and that works out well for people), and water, can be moving since they live near rivers, but they're fine with standing. If you're willing to change out the water frequently, a filter is not strictly necessary (but nice). Plexi glass and silicone to separate the water from the dry land. Either tall plants or wood of some kind--grapevine, driftwood--for them to climb. Glass top to keep them from climbing out and to keep in humidity. If you keep your house in the 70's F I don't think a heater is necessary from what I've read of their temperature range tolerance.

I don't use a filter or heater. As KaylNeko said, the room my palu is in stays above 70 so I don't think it's necessary. My water portion is also very shallow, which makes heating and filtering a challenge. Because most of the bi-colors use the water portion much less than the land, filtration isn't an issue. Especially since it will be planted. I just do a weekly water change on it and there are never ammonia or nitrite present.

I have actually never seen any of my fiddlers or bi-colors burrow, though I had expected that they would.

You had mentioned a misting/fogging system. I spray twice a day with a spray bottle from the dollar tree. ;)

Ok im not that talented to do the foam thing im a simple female. lol
But was wondering what do you use to glue on the store bought backgrounds made from foam.? I was wanting some opinions about my setup of my 40gal tank. With glass lid and tank stand. Wood looking background I was thinking of taking plexi glass and putting 2 pieces down the middle(length of the tank) about 4 inches wide but on a slant glueing substract or sand on them after glueing them to tank. Making that the water part (Stream) put pebbles on the bottom of the water part and a few bigger rocks with plants and some kind of moss i think, Finding a way to have a waterfall(I think i wil just buy one). Right side of land will have small driftwood, plants, moss, hidyholes and rocks with soil. On the Left side i want to put sand or substract with plants and moss. On the very bottom of the tank i was thinking gravel or small stones in natrual colour. Then plastic screen on top of that with sand on Left side and soil on Right side on top of sand. So what do you think will this work for the PVC. I have ordered my 40gal tank so far but need all the other stuff so i can order the rest as i get the money.

IM SORRY
Ok im not that talented to do the foam thing im a simple female. lol
But was wondering what do you use to glue on the store bought backgrounds made from foam.? I was wanting some opinions about my setup of my 40gal tank. With glass lid and tank stand. Wood looking background I was thinking of taking plexi glass and putting 2 pieces down the middle(length of the tank) about 4 inches wide but on a slant glueing substract or sand on them after glueing them to tank. Making that the water part (Stream) put pebbles on the bottom of the water part and a few bigger rocks with plants and some kind of moss i think, Finding a way to have a waterfall(I think i wil just buy one). Right side of land will have small driftwood, plants, moss, hidyholes and rocks with soil. On the Left side i want to put sand or substract with plants and moss. On the very bottom of the tank i was thinking gravel or small stones in natrual colour. Then plastic screen on top of that with sand on Left side and soil on Right side on top of sand. So what do you think will this work for the PVC. I have ordered my 40gal tank so far but need all the other stuff so i can order the rest as i get the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a simple female as well! LOL I used GE I for basement/kitchen/attic silicone. It must be this variety, and not one containing a mildewcide.

I think your plan will work great!

Why cant i get my messages.? I go to my email and says i have message from this site so i click on it. It takes me here but this comes up.

No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

i cant see or get anything in here unless i serch and look.

eh, prob just something a little funny going on that will fix itself shortly. Mouse over Quick Links and click Subscribed Threads. Can be easier to find the stuff you're working on that way rather that through email.

Thank you so very much siva your great for putting my post in the right place aswell thank you so very much for the great complement i hope all works well im getting exsited about building my crabs a great and hopefully happy home. I ordered my 40 gal tank will be here Tuesday. Now i just need to figure out what i have to order next. Should i get the plexiglass and silicone next, Then order the lid and gravel, Then sand and soil, Then filter and plants then all the other stuff.

My pleasure. :) Yes! The tank will need plenty of time to air out after you silicone it. Then you'll leak test, possibly have to re-seal parts, and let air out again, so that should be the next step! :)

Ya sounds like a good idea. Aquarium Silicone smells like Vinegar. Ok thank you for letting me know about the testing i didnt think of that.

Ok, merged things over and then cleaned it up, don't think I lost anything important in the process, if I did shot me a PM.

Do be sure and water test, sometimes it will take several attempts to get everything sealed up.

Never buy a internal fogger always get a external a lot safer for the animal also makes ur tank look a lot more natural you can get the zoo med external fogger or even a humidifier from target and rig to be a fogger and drill the side of the tank get a bulk head get the tubing hooked up put mesh over the entrance so nothing goes into the tube and plant some plants in front. A little more complicated but works great and looks even greater lol

ok i was wondering if this light is ok.

The Exo Terra Light Cycle Unit Electronic Dimming Terrarium Lamp Controller, is an electronic ballast, a timer and a dusk - dawn simulator in one. The timer can be set for three lighting periods: 10, 12 or 14 hours. When a daytime cycle starts it will take about 30 minutes to bring the light output of the bulb to 100%, simulating a natural dawn period. At the end of each daytime cycle it will take again about 30 minutes to go from 100% light output to 0%, simulating a natural dusk period. This is less stressful for the animals and even stimulates breeding behaviour in many species of reptiles. It gives the animals time to retreat into their burrows or hiding places. The Exo Terra Light Cycle Unit provides a flexible lighting solution for your terrarium. Just mount the electronic ballast housing near the terrarium, and connect the fluorescent bulbs to the water-resistant end caps. The long, flexible end-cap leads allow you to position the fluorescent bulbs very close to the animals, necessary when UVB bulbs are used (ie: Repti Glo 5.0 and 10.0). The long end-cap leads also provide the versatility to mount bulbs over any type of terrarium, regardless of size.

- Fits two fluorescent bulbs
- Dims fluorescent tubes (dusk and dawn effect!)
- Built-in timer
- Ideal for use with Exo Terra Repti Glo and other fluorescent bulbs
- More energy efficient than conventional ballasts or light strips
- No flickering; less stressful for reptiles and amphibians
- Water-resistant end-caps for maximum safety
- Long end-cap leads
- On/Off Switch

The Exo Terra Light Units are the most flexible solution for fitting all types of linear fluorescents tubes onto any type of terrarium. All units come with a double fitting to enable the combination of different Repti Glo bulbs in order to obtain the right light output depending on the species and climate. The Exo Terra Light Cycle Unit also has a timer and a linear fluorescent bulb dimmer built in.

I am not home till late and dont get up early so was thinking this would be a good lighting system or is there something else as good but cheaper

Does it give wattage? With plants, you need to ensure you have enough light.

I dont know whatever the info is above that i posted is all the info i have. Aswell does anyone know whats the difference between organic top soil and organic potting soil. As i was told to use organic potting soil for my PVC habitat. Please help.

Butterflychild said:
Thank you Patrick93 but im not that handy to make a fogger as you said. So im not sure what to do now.

Look up online the zoo med fogger the external one and u can easily just put the tube on top of the screen and if it's glass then u could get a custom sheet of glass cut at a hardware store and make a little screen area. Look up the fogger on YouTube and you'll see diff ways of running it I've heard that the internal fogger can burn ur animals and shock them cuz there poorly designed its kind of like heat rocks for lizards they were just made to make money off people
Good luck with the build

Because you want to keep the price down on this, I'm going to recommend a cheap-o water bottle for misting. You don't need to put the $$ into a fogging system. Mist when you wake and before you sleep and it'll will stay moist and humid.

I think for this purpose top soil is going to be fine. It retains moisture well which is good for burrowing. I would add some aragonite or calci-sand in with it.

If that light fixture is expensive, there may be a more afforadable solution, but it sounds really nice.

Back
Top Bottom