Need help with setting up a fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tank and dimensions

I thought of having a 42 gallon aquarium, a 160 liter one. The dimensions are 100 cm X 40 cm X 40 cm. Are these dimensions ok?

I read online that the tanks should have some standard dimensions, like a fixed dimensions for a 40 gal aquarium. Is it okay to have custom dimensions?
Should I go for a 40 gal or 45 gal aquarium instead of a 46 gal?

Hi
I have had an interest in this hobby from my childhood. My parents have finally allowed me to have a tank in my room. I really wish to start with a planted aquarium. But they have strictly fixed a budget. I need to cut down costs as much as possible. So, I would like your opinion on this.

1. Is an aquarium substrate necessary? We have a river nearby. Can I use silt from the river?:brows:(I know it sounds LOL)
Completely unnecessary...but aesthetically nicer. dry and rinse river sediment and you should be fine.
2. The API freshwater master test kit costs about Rs. 2800(about $40). Can I cut down costs on this? I mean, is there any way to do a fishless cycle without this using some signs?
Completely unnecessary, but nice to have for peace of mind...You may be done in a month or less but without a test kit to know exactly when you're done...simply take an extra month for your cycle.
3. Which type of filter is good for my 140 litres tank? I don't find spending on the filter, but it shouldn't be too expensive too.
Decide which kind of filter you would prefer and then get one rated for your size aquarium or higher...Extra filtration is never bad, and will allow for a little "overstocking" if you like.
Also, give out your general opinions on what newbies generally spend higher, that can be cut down.:thanks::thanks::thanks:
Test kits and other chemical additives always make up the bulk of the unnecessary garbage pilled in aquarium stands. A little water conditioner and maybe a little salt should be all you need for the water.

Most important things...
1) cycled tank (any type of cycling without a test kit is simple... it just takes a little more work due to uncertainty).
2) quarantine everything before putting it in the tank
3) a good regular cleaning maintenance schedule
4) compatible fish and stocking rate

The api kit can be bought through amazon for a lot less than $40. A lot of Vista can be reduced online. I always try to use local owners put if you are just using a mega pet store online is the way to go

Back
Top Bottom