Need help with setup for cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahh..ok

Well.. for all we know, you could have high toxin levels in your tanks. This would be the culprit for why your Lab never recovered and now your Hap is now suffering.

The strips that just say if it's ok don't really work, and I know that you already know that you need a liquid test kit ;)

It's rough on fish to be moved a lot, I'd leave everything the way they are right now. Do big daily water changes and get your test kit asap. Usually the best treatment for a sickly fish is just good water conditions and to keep them stress free.

So I need to keep blue in the ten gallon for how long? I am getting bigger tanks tomorrow I was going to so fishless cycles and then put them in their tanks. And my lab died because she was to far gone when I got her and I made it worse cuz I didn't find out about the food problem before it was to late. Blue was doing great today before I put the sand in. He was acting like he did everyday. I do water changes twice a week and I know the test are the wrong ones but they r something until I get right ones. ASAP

Twice a week may not be enough though, that's what the test kit is for.

You don't really have a way to say "This is what happened" because you still don't know the single most important thing about your tank: it's toxin levels.

I'd recommend daily changes until you get your test kit and know exactly what levels your tanks have. I had to do 2 PWC a day for like 30 days on my first tank to keep the toxin's down.

Wow can't it be harmful to do to many water changes? And since I will be doing them everyday do I do the 25% instead of the 50% I do twice a week? If not how much do I take out daily so I don't take to much or to less? How long do I keep blue in the ten gallon, if he makes it? Could u give me a list of kits I need so I know what I am looking for? It sucks I may lose my baby blue! And I know I am not for sure why all my fish want to die today. My loves fish are doing great his ram is getting color. I'm not getting no more fish until I have all my proper kits I am suppose to have. I don't wanna lose my fish again until they are suppose to go, like old age lol not toxins. The list of kits will really help alot I will start there and all the kits and then start stocking my tanks up. Could anyone refer me to a good website for fishless tank cycling?

Definitely not harmful at all to do a lot of water changes. It's fine for them as long as you treat with a conditioner every time and keep it temp matched.

The way you determine what amount of water to change is from your test kit. For example: If you get any NitrIte or Ammonia at .25 or more, you do a 25% water change. If they read .5, you would do a 50% change. Sometimes people have to do very large, 50-75% water changes multiple times a day to get toxin's out of the water. For now, I'm sure doing 25% changes a day will be sufficient until you get your kit.

Fish can live a long time. Your moray eel can live like 35+ years I believe..
My Oscar can live 10+ years easily. I want to keep him for a very long time.

I would recommend the API Master Freshwater Test Kit

Alright thank u you have been a big help. I am going to get that test kit ASAP. And would you happen to know what kinda kit I would need to test the eels brackish water? The gravity I think is what I test in his tank not sure though, I know if I gradually work him up to full salt he would be great. I am trying to get everything right from when I bought the fish and they keep dieing this sucks at least when I do get everything for my tanks I can get more fish and hopefully they won't die on me.

The freshwater api master kit works for brackish.

I am trying to get everything right from when I bought the fish and they keep dieing this sucks at least when I do get everything for my tanks I can get more fish and hopefully they won't die on me.

Once you have your new tanks cycled! :)

Okay well I got to find a salt level kit too then. Blue is dead :( I feel terrible maybe if I would have waited to put the sand in he would still be alive. There is no telling. I will just have to get me another one in a couple of months. Do u know anything about the ram cichlids like what the eat? If she can have blood worms?

Okay well I have looked it up it said that the ram can have bloodworms sometimes? How often do u think I should give them to the ram? I'm very sad about my blue. He was my first cichlid, he looked like a female when I first got him all brown and ugly and he turned out beautiful :( he will never be forgotten and I have learned my lesson. Test kits are very important for every tank u own. I very much appreciate everything u and everyone has helped me with I just wish I would have found this site faster maybe my baby would still be alive and I would have the kits. We live and learn! I can get a new baby! I can't wait it will be like six months or so, so I can do cycles on new tanks and get my kits. Again thank u very much!

Back
Top Bottom