Need help with Yellow Lab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
quick update since last nights last post. I have since added 2 more yellow labs, and the one yellow that i have concerns about is now actually acting territorial, especially with the shark, so i think i will be returning the shark today. The other yellow labs are getting along with everyone so far and vise versa. But im now noticing that the one i have concerns about is now swimming with its tail hanging low, to the point that when it does come out of hiding, its almost swimming vertical. i know with my platys and other fish, this is a usual sign that something is wrong, and chances are will die in a couple hours, but dont know if its the same with cichlids. its colors look good, very bright yellow with the dark black stripe on the dorsal fin. I dont know whats going on, please help

Update again. Ive added a couple more hiding spots to the tank, the other fish seem to have stopped picking on the lab, for now at least, im keeping an eye on them. But while ive been watching them ive noticed something. the two acei i bought today with the 2 new labs, are sticking by each other like glue, never really venturing far from each other. They arent attacking, chasing or anything like that, they are actually swimming with each other, most of the time side by side. Is this normal behavior lol i dont know the sexes of them, because i have yet to learn to vent, being a newbie to cichlids. just a little curious haha

I'm not sure possibly, with mine it's easy to tell because of colors that one is the dominate male and has a female. But they very well could have established that

Update Feb 2: The yellow lab has been coming out a little more, not by much, but some. It still comes out to eat whenever its feeding time, but then goes back into hiding. It is also Still swimming almost vertically when swimming forward. I dont see any fin damage, but the fins on the bottom on the belly are always tucked up so i dont see those to check. What could be causing it to swim almost vertically? I know you said the hiding is normal, but i dont thinkt he vertical swimming is.

Possibly. Some cichlids group together some see eachother (same breeds) as competition so its hard to tell but I have noticed sometimes tank mates at the lfs become a lil closer at home than with other ones

Back
Top Bottom