need id help. new member!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drew11588

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi im new to this forum and im not sure where this belongs. i guess i should have researched this stuff before i bought the rock... but i bought it and put it in my tank cause i thought it looked cool. anyhow ive looked over the internet to try to id these but have had no luck. can anyone help me out?

in the center of this pic. its just sticking outa portion. who know how much is hidden under that rock. it doesnt look like any worm that ive seen. possibly a sea cucumber?
img_975742_0_a6e3ef6e76ab6d663de74678efa93c7b.jpg

heres another shot
img_975742_1_dac159c176c23db2658ad915be7c8e80.jpg

i dont know what that reddish orange thing is in the center of this pic. maybe some type of anenome?
img_975742_2_8073fbcd9485fe7650b4ad739237084c.jpg

and i probably should have researched these muscles b4 i bought the rock but i thought it looked cool and got them... anyways anyone know what kind of muscles these are? and does anyone know what type of coral that is living on them?
img_975742_3_e6e9a7562f63c6964df2e01c0eefd1fe.jpg

and heres another shot of the same thing
img_975742_4_31fa7d7ab8977dcc0a18cf7a3909d6ef.jpg

any help/ comments are appreciated. thanks guys!

Welcome to AA!

I'm not sure about the first pic. Does it move around or just extend from the rock? Cucumbers will move around the tank.

2nd pic looks like Majano. Bad anemone they can and will take over your tank. Joe's Juice will nuke him.

3rd pic looks like Zoas. Do they close up if a snail or crab walks over them?

Hey! thanks for your reply and insight.
for the first pic, it was initially buried under the sand since it must have been on the bottom of the rock. then it sort of just appeared this morning. so far thats all thats come out and so far has only moved around that spot.il observe it some more. it also has a brown mouth looking thing at the tip.. or could be the anus, who knows.

for the second pic i think ur right on with the majano. ill get rid of that asap. thanks!

and for the third pic, it doesnt really look like zoas but ill take a closer pic, but yes, the tentacles on it retract when something is nearby

Welcome to the site.
The last pic looks like it might be a turkey wing clam. A pretty common hitch hiker, but a better pic might help.
You reefers sure the 3rd pick isn't a bubble tip? I don;t have much experience on real life mojanos, but they usually are more colorful and I haven't seen them "bubble" like that....?

so i uploaded some more pics to maybe make id'ing easier

some say majano, but roka says bubble tip. ive looked up both and it sort of looks more like a bubble tip now that i look at it, but im still not sure
img_976165_0_3859b5d78176b62151bbb5ab372f7e59.jpg

heres a pic i pulled up from the internet
bubble-tip-anemone-bulbs.jpg

and heres a close up of the coral. it sort of resembles zoas, but the colors arent like anything i could find on the internet. i just want to make sure its nothing harmful
img_976165_2_efbcf7fc0b827cb03d9f50c068be5150.jpg

and heres another pic of the clam
img_976165_3_9b20629a5c98bcfacf7a390d6b2a027f.jpg

thanks!

I'll have to let the reefers speak to the possible bubble tip and the other pic (looks more like button poylps). Last looks like a turkey wing clam....

I say it is more likely a bubble mushroom rather then a BTA. I have also seen Manjano buble like that.

I agree with the turkey wing clam.

I don't think your second pic are zoas. I'm not sure what they are. The original pic you took of them they looked like zoas. These look like dendros or some kind of anmone I'm not sure. I've been searching around on the net and haven't come up with anything yet...

I havent had the luxery of finding a tuekey wing, doesnt mean i donthave one but i heard they can be devestating to aquascaping when they open if they are onthe bottom of a "pile" of rock is that true?

if you stacked rocks directly on top of them, i'm sure they would since they shift around and open and close. ive got mine in the open so the worst they could do is move some sand around

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom