Need ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Budda619

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looks like bristle worms are coming out my star polyp. My friend who sell corals says its arms of a starfish.seems to be White bristles with tan bands. My star polyps are not effected in any way still open up. You can see the arms when the polyp retracts. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image-2940066316.jpg
    image-2940066316.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 133
Is it common for them to grow under my polyps? Do they stay in there or come out? Also i have sponge growing over a few polyps, will they get smothered? My fish guy says leave it so its easier to frag as they ill do no harm. Im such a noob :p

With encrusting corals, it isn't strange to see things like dusters, worms, or stars sticking out from the skeletons. If that is their burrow, they will make sure it doesn't get encrusted over. It is t harmful to the coral at all. I have a meteor shower that is full of all kinds of life, just like that. It is one of my favorite pieces just from all of the life getting along on one piece.

With encrusting corals, it isn't strange to see things like dusters, worms, or stars sticking out from the skeletons. If that is their burrow, they will make sure it doesn't get encrusted over. It is t harmful to the coral at all. I have a meteor shower that is full of all kinds of life, just like that. It is one of my favorite pieces just from all of the life getting along on one piece.

Very informational thanks!

It could be microstars I had a bunch of them in my tank when getting my zoanthid frag. Theyre very very little and dont really grow or affect anything.

Maybe mini brittle stars? Arms are about a inch long now after a few days. Before when noticed it was about 1/8 of a inch

Back
Top Bottom