need info about beef heart for oscar cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sayan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 tiger oscar. I feed them hikari bio gold, NLS cichlisoma formula. Occationally shrimp and chicken. They are very happy. But when I go through net come to know that oscars love beef heart too. My question is how I get beef heart other than any butcher? Do any of this manufacturer sell frozen or dried beef heart cube?(hikari, sera, tetra, NLS, omni)
Need ur help guys. Thanks.expecting positive rpl soon

Your lfs should carry it. It will be in a feezer with other frozen fish foods like bloodworms and brine shrimp and whatnot. You should feed it occasionally only, not everyday. The reason for that js it will make your water very dirty very fast. It's also very high in fat so too much is bad for your oscars. But a cube every couple days as a treat like bloodworms or shrimp will make your oscars very happy.

The most important fact is that fish digestive systems are designed to handle certain proteins. Freshwater/Marine proteins and fats are very different than their mammal counterparts. Their digestive systems are well designed so that if the food is of a protein that can not be digested properly it will simply be expell this excess immediately. The primarily function of breaking down food is a provide energy, that which can't be processed generates a lot of waste since they're expelling what can't be used to benefit the fishes body. Proteins are made of amino acids which contain nitrogen, carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, so as the fish is breaking these non-native foods down they in turn make a lot more nitrogenous waste which as everyone knows will effect water quality. The last issue I have is the fish's kidneys and liver work harder than they would have trying to process foods they are not designed to digest, where as long term feeding can lead to liver or kidney failure. So not to ramble on any longer I can't see any benefits to feeding beefheart when there so many healthier choices such as salmon, nightcrawlers, shrimp(prawns), and prepared pellets.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
The most important fact is that fish digestive systems are designed to handle certain proteins. Freshwater/Marine proteins and fats are very different than their mammal counterparts. Their digestive systems are well designed so that if the food is of a protein that can not be digested properly it will simply be expell this excess immediately. The primarily function of breaking down food is a provide energy, that which can't be processed generates a lot of waste since they're expelling what can't be used to benefit the fishes body. Proteins are made of amino acids which contain nitrogen, carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, so as the fish is breaking these non-native foods down they in turn make a lot more nitrogenous waste which as everyone knows will effect water quality. The last issue I have is the fish's kidneys and liver work harder than they would have trying to process foods they are not designed to digest, where as long term feeding can lead to liver or kidney failure. So not to ramble on any longer I can't see any benefits to feeding beefheart when there so many healthier choices such as salmon, nightcrawlers, shrimp prawns, and prepared pellets.

Good point!

You don't need to fish your oscar beefheart. Why do you think they need beefheart? They will love other food like worms and crickets.

Problems with live bloodworm is oscar waste too much of it. They r messy eaters.
How can I get cricket for my buddies? Is that sold packed by any manufacturer? I think no.
Its hard to get cricket naturally. I watched they really enjoy the shrimp and chicken. Beef not necessary but still I wanted to know from u experts here. Thanks for the help

Problems with live bloodworm is oscar waste too much of it. They r messy eaters.
How can I get cricket for my buddies? Is that sold packed by any manufacturer? I think no.
Its hard to get cricket naturally. I watched they really enjoy the shrimp and chicken. Beef not necessary but still I wanted to know from u experts here. Thanks for the help

They do sell crickets packed by a manufacture called can O' foods. I feed this brand to my turtle every so often and the fish eat little bits that the turtle drops.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=6458

Checked the link. Its really nice. Thanks a ton. have to check my Lfs whether they keep it or else I have to buy it online

Check your local pet stores reptile section, they should have live crickets if you don't want to order them online.

Back
Top Bottom