need info before I call LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosslady

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a trigger yesterday. When I got home from the LFS the fish was kinda laying on it's side My husband said this fish is died already. I looked at it and started adding water from the QT tank he was going to. He started moving. I put him in the QT after about 45 mins. I added water to the container during this whole time slowly. When I put him in the QT he laid on his side. I also bought a new Lion did the same thing with him and he is fine. When I called the LFS last night, I told him the fish looks and acts died until you touch him with the net. The first thing he said was it was a healthy fish when I bought it. Then he said that adding water to the bag he was in was the worst thing you can do to a fish. He said you have 15 mintues from the time you open the bag to get the fish in the tank. He said I should have opened the bag and dumped the fish water and all into my tank. I never put the LFS water in my main tank. I'm afraid of meds or something in it. Now the fish has died. Did I do something wrong?

Jeanett

Well, we would have to know your tanks water parameters and your method of acclimation to try and tell if it was perhaps something you could have fixed. If the fish was fine at the lfs, it sounds like an acclimation problem. Most lfs keep their salinity very low, so all fish need a slow acclimation to raise the salinity and adjust to the new ph of your tank.
Also, it's a long shot but, did you see any aggressive posturing from the lion? They aren't normally aggressive but if it's been in the tank awhile by itself, it may become territorial or may have even poked the trigger on accident. This isn't likely the cause but thought I'd mention it just the same.
Also, you were correct in not adding the lfs water to your system.

This LFS is not very knowledgeable. I would not use him again. Rule No. 1 in any type of aquaria is never add the water from LFS in your tank. For him to suggest this is very inappropiate.

Back
Top Bottom