Need info on african brown knife, ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like it just one thing to consider the angels might eat the cardinals when he gets bigger but all looks great.

Cardinals reach 2 inches. Thats big for an angel to eat. I highly doubt there will ever be an issue there.
Just a note, I definitely do not suggest keeping serpaes with rams. IME, serpaes are pretty nippy and they tend to pick on other fish, especially slower moving ones like rams. I see you plan on getting a decent sized school of serpaes, so it would maybe be ok, I am just saying I have kept both fish and I would not recommend keeping them together personally. JMO.

absolutangel04 said:
Cardinals reach 2 inches. Thats big for an angel to eat. I highly doubt there will ever be an issue there.
Just a note, I definitely do not suggest keeping serpaes with rams. IME, serpaes are pretty nippy and they tend to pick on other fish, especially slower moving ones like rams. I see you plan on getting a decent sized school of serpaes, so it would maybe be ok, I am just saying I have kept both fish and I would not recommend keeping them together personally. JMO.

They are small as juvies about the size of neons so it depends on how big the angels are in proportion to the cardinals.

Yes, all fish are small as juveniles. I assumed the angels would be small too. Yes, the proportion does matter. I am merely saying that a full grown cardinal should not be in danger from a full grown angel IMO. Nor should a juvenile cardinal be in danger from a smaller angel like the angels that are typically purchased. :)

I was just stating the fact if the Angels are bigger than the cardinals they will be eaten big fish eat smaller fish that fit in their mouth. He never stated if either were juvies I was just going on a whim and giving a little advice since cardinals are usually sold about the same size as neons but angels come in a wide variety. Thanks for the lecture on how big juvenile fish are though.

Sorry for coming across as snippy. I meant no disrespect. No need to get angry. I apologize for how that sounded.

Its okay. It was my fault for not stating that where I buy my fish, all the fish are juvenile. They sell cardinals at about an inch, and the angel fish at a little less than two inches. Ill be putting the angel in last because that is the one fish I am going to be most picky about as far as color is concerned... Obviously you cant really be all that picky about cardinals or black neons.

I really want the serpaes and originally rearranged my stocking list so that the angel and serpae's wouldnt be together. Do you think it will be a problem if there are alot of plants in the tank, and driftwood for the rams to take solace in?

Oh... and... She. :)

Yeah, most fish are sold as juveniles. I have seen very few adult fish available in stores because it takes a pretty big tank to hold some of them. The young ones are just easier to store/ship. :)
I hope your angels do ok. Some of the tiny ones can be pretty sensitive.
Personally, I would not try putting the serpaes in the rams at all. I have owned both and my serpaes fit the stereo-type of being nippy. But, some people have had better luck with serpaes in communities, so its really to you if you want to try it or not. If you do try it, just keep a careful eye out for signs of fin nipping and/or the rams acting stressed. The hard part about that is fish often do those hit-and-run attacks where you never even see it happen but have to deal with the aftermath. Thats why I wouldn't try it. But again, you can certainly try it if you want. I also did not have 10 serpaes and I have definitely hear that the bigger numbers makes a difference. They are pretty little guys. I wish they would behave! Lol.

Alright, you guys made me paranoid, lol. Im scraping the serpae tetra idea totally, and keeping the rams in the 46 gallon like I had originally planned. (I bought them a few nights ago from a small time, local fish store... Two Blue Balloon Rams... Im pretty sure they are both male, but they are still juveniles so I am not sure.)

The fish in italics are the ones I already have in said tank...

Updated list:

55 Gallon:
-2 BristleNose Pleco
-5 Australian Rainbowfish
-5 Peppered Cory Catfish

-2 Angelfish

46 Gallon:
-1 Bristlenose Pleco
-2 Blue Ram
-12 Black Neon Tetra
-12 Cardinal Tetra
-Ghost Shrimp (currently, there are 16 in there... Plus three berried females, yay!)

It looks good. The only thing I will say is that cardinals and balck neons school rather low in the tank IME, so your 46 might look a little bottom heavy. Perhaps not though. If you wanted to, you could add a honey gourami or something that would swim around the top a little more. :) If you don't want to, then no worries. Your stock does look nice and compatable and attractive. :)

Back
Top Bottom