Need new filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I moved my 75 gallon into my room. I was running a EMporer 400 and a strong powerhead.

I have now realized that the filter is too loud. It is slightly damaged from using Tahitian Moonstone, which is slightly magnetic, getting stuck between the magnet and the motor causing noise. I still use this sand.

So, I need to replace the filter with another that will remain quiet enough for me to actually get some sleep. It needs about 300-350gph real flow (I know that he emporer doesnt actually get 400, gets about 300)

any suggestions?

I would get a cannister myself. Much quieter. I have fluvals and a XP3 all of them are much quieter than a HOB.

I would also recommend getting a canister filter and that you put a sponge over the intake to reduce the chance of any more sand getting sucked in and damaging the new filter. I have a Filstar xP1 and can't hear it running. You should probably get the xP3 or equivalent based on the size of your tank.

I use a cannister filter, an XP3. It is a very quiet filter. The HOB biowheel filter I use also, is allot nosier then the XP3. So I would recommand getting a cannister filter, they are allot quieter.

I have a Rena FilStar XP3 on my 75 gallon and it works wonderfully. Thinking though of adding a second one...think i'm becoming a fan of overfiltration per experience with my 29 gallon. For noise level and also quality of filtering I would definitely go with a canister filter.

Getting this filter has ben a PITA!!!!! been waiting since the day I made this thread for oen ot come in at the LFS. should be here tuesday now. Hell, I dont even know the brand. dont rightly CARE atm! my 75 gallon tank hasnt been filtered in two weeks!

I picked up a 55 gallon from walmart, am going to putt aht cheapo filter on ym tank plus the canister filter on there. (the 55 is a breeding tank ,getting filtered using air pumps)

I do know that the filter is an eheim, around 350 gph. I am getting it for 10 bucks over the LFS price so I cant complain about that.

Back
Top Bottom