need opinions on filtraion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tildar

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just getting back into fish....

I have an old whisper 30 hob that came with this used 30 gal tank I just got.

Was considering dropping in an old rUGF setup, from an old 10 gallon I had years ago, so I would have a better biomass from the bed, to avoid any cycle issues I might have during a cartridge change.

Reading here seemed to push rUGF not being a good idea any more, ie old outdated etc etc etc.... no need to rehash all those points here.

Am I better off skipping the rUGF, in hopes that I can afford something like a hot magnum 250 pro within the next month, or three, to replace the Whisper 30? Should I drop the Whisper 30 for a cheap, but multi cartridge, better HOB unit now till i can get the hot mag? or am I just being paranoid about loosing cycle every time I change out the cartridge on this old w30?

Thanks all.

Welcome to AA :) I am not a huge filter expert but I do know that cansiter filters are well liked around here. As far as HOBs go a lot of people also seem to like the Aquaclears. You might already know this, but I suggest getting a filter for twice as many gallons as you have (i have a tetra whisper 60 on my 29 gallon). The more filtration, the better, as long as the current created isn't too much for your fish.

Hope this helps you any.

Moved to the FW General discussion forum. More people will see and answer there. This is the welcome wagon.

Nothing wrong with rUGF if there is a prefilter on the powerhead. I too like ACs. I have a couple of small Whispers that I run with plastic pot scrubbers in them. They do the job and there are no elements to buy.

Welcome to AA!!! I would have to recommend Aquaclear's. Theyre great filters for a great price.

note: i dont work for Aquaclear :)

Thanks guys.

Yep the reminder on 2x the filtering is a good point.

Skipping the rUGF, as I have discovered that the power head I had.... is damaged. Now I remember part of the reason why that that old tank went away. One of the many many failed peaces of equipment that day, fish found a new home for free same day. :mad:

Checked my local shop, they will get a hot mag pro order for me next week, (cheaper than I thought it was) and I'll just have to figure out how to cover the bill when it gets here. "who needs groceries?":rolleyes:

Bonus to that trip was, I discovered that they have a gravel vac that will plug into the MAG. Vac till I'm done sounds like a wonderfull idea! I hate siphoning anyway. Then rinse the MAG with a bucket of PWC. :)

i would keep the whisper 30 on the tank. just clean out the filter pads no need to replace them. hot mags are great at moving water and polishing the water but have a small area for media. a hot mag with a ac 50 would work out great in my mind.

Where in WI you live? I happen to have a couple HOBs laying around that I wouldn't mind giving up for really cheap if your looking for a little extra filtration. One is Tetra 60 (I think) and the other is a Penguin 350. Actually, I think I'd give up the Penguin for free since it seems to need a new impeller.

Let me know if you want them (or one of them). :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom