Need plant help with splitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey2619

Aquarium Advice Activist
Heya guys, I picked up an amazon sword and another plant a couple weeks ago, and they absolutely blew up. I have a 100w reptile heater light shifted over so only roughly half of it actually hits the tank, a foot away. Anyways, I'm looking into splitting these plants to I can plant them elsewhere.

SO my questions are:
1. How would I go about splitting the sword?
2. And this bulb plant that I have, how could I split that one?
3. What does that stem with all the creeper things having off the stem do that extends past the sword?

Both plants are in there plastic water plant cup things....

Attachments

• DSCN1663.jpg
    DSCN1663.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN1664.jpg
    DSCN1664.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN1665.jpg
    DSCN1665.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 58
First step, remove the plastic pots as they appear to be quickly outgrowing them. It's easier to remove them now than later. Cut the potts off carefully if the roots are growing out the sides and/or bottoms of the pot.

To remove the baby sword plants, you would wait until the baby plants have at least 3-4 leaves and some roots. Then just cut the runner on both sides and plant. I don't know that you can divide the mother plant or the bulb plant.

Here is a nice article on removing the pots:

Tropica

(Not that it's too hard)

The stem with all the creepy things on it is called an adventitious shoot. That is one way an Amazon reproduces/spreads. Joy has explained how and when to remove them.

Amazon swords do split, but that one is no where near that point.

I do not know what type of plant that is in the foreground either.

EDIT: The foreground plant could be a regular onion plant (Crinum thaianum).

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful information guys! The clipping process or whatever you'd like to call it went smoothly. The new sprouts had alot of roots on them and more than 5 leaves, so I figured it was time. Hope these lil' tykes thrive.

Much appreciation, it was very easy with your help!
John

Attachments

• DSCN1668.jpg
    DSCN1668.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN1669.jpg
    DSCN1669.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom