Need planted aquarium advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I'm not new to aquarium keeping, but I want to do one of those super-cool heavily planted tanks. I'll be starting from scratch and was looking for advice. I haven't bought one thing yet, but the tank will be at least a 55 (trying to talk the wife into a 70 or larger).
Anybody know any:
good books?
Magazines?
other websites? (sorry ffreak)
personal experinces to share regarding lights, substrates, fitration?

Anything would be appreciated, Thanks.

Hey dont be sorry.

I must say that in the area of planted tanks we are a little thin on info. But hey over time it will fill in. If you should find good resources please add them to the links section.

Advise on planted tanks

Hi not that I am an expert on planted tanks, But this is what my son and I did with his 55 gallon tank. He has a 2.5" bed using Flourite and medium gravel, Filtration is a 304 Fluval cannister with the Bio stones and foam pads. Carbon added occasionally (as it pulls nutrients from the tank). A 201 Hagen power head on a timer for 2 hrs. a day to clean the scum off the top of the tank water, Also a Carbo plus Generator ( CO2 )set on line two, Lighting is 4 24" Trito bulbs running 10 hrs. a day. Also root tab fertilizer every water change (3 weeks lightly siphoned)
He has great succsess with this setup his Amazon sword covers better then a third of his tank, Vals. & Micro grass are spreading all over the tank, His water sprite has to be pruned every two weeks. I hope this has helped. EMS 503

Any chance for some pics? We don't have any pics of planted F/W aquaria. I personally would love to see some pics of your tank. :D

Re: Advise on planted tanks

EMS503,

EMS503 said:
Lighting is 4 24" Trito bulbs running 10 hrs. a day.

How many watts per gallon does that come to? From what I'm reading, I think I'm supposed to have 2 watts or more per gallon .

Depending on what I can convince the wife that I GOTTA HAVE, I may end up with a 90, 70, or (last resort) 55.

I seem to be having troble finding a hood for this that will hold 4 bulbs. This is going into the living room, so it has to look professional from top to bottom. I know I need to do more research, but advice would be appreciated.

Commercially avaialbale light hoods (from the LFS) are usually pitifully undersize. Custom made hoods that have adequate lighting are usually prohibitively expensive. A lot of folks opt for a DIY hood. If carefully built and tastefully finished, it can be a beautiful addtion to your show tank. Plus it can hold whatever light arrangement you build it for. Have you considered metal halide for your plant tank? Seems to me a 5500K bulb (or two) would grow lush green plants. They work for hydroponic gardens and so should work equally well for a planted tank. Ready made metal halide lights/hoods are available for your tank size (55, 75, or 90) and will take up much less room than the equivalent amount of flourescent light (NO, VHO, or PC).

Mark

No halide for me

Halide is more than I need. I have some previous experience with halides, (indoor gardening, gave it up years ago) they are too pricey to run, and too hot for my purposes. Hoever, I am leaning towards a DIY hood, so I can install whatever type of lighting I settle on. I still think 4 full-lngth flourescents will be plenty for me. You are right about the custom hoods, $$$ out the yingus! yikes!

I have some very simle designs for a DIY canopy in the DIY forum. Should cost less than $50 for a home built one.

Karen Randell of AFM, usually recommends using regular shop lights for F/W planted aquariums. There are cheap bulbs available from the hardware store, that are in the acceptable range for spectrum. There is no need to spend alot of money on lights for a F/W planted aquarium. I have seen shoplights at walmart that would fit well under a DIY canopy.

Hi. The 24" Triton bulbs are 20 watts each. Which if my math is right would be 1.5 watts per gallon in his 55 gallon tank, A little low but he is saving his money to get new lights. The tank is growing plants very well considering the low wattage per gal.
I will be posting pictures of his tank in the photo gallery if you would like to see them.

Good Luck

What wonderful pics those are. A planted tank can be just as beautiful as a reef tank in my option.

Thanks for shairing.

planted tank

I started a planted tank, was quite new at it and got very good advice at a club I found thanks to te Internet but in fact it's located near where I live: at the tropical museum of my town. I don't know how it is where you live but I discover that each major town in France has a fish club linked but the tropical museum of the city and it's a great plce to get advice.

My son's tank (Responder 503) is a 55 gallon planted tank. Pictures of his tank are in the photo gallery.

Back
Top Bottom