Need Recommendation for CO2 Solution for 40 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Below 30ppm, IMO, is pointless. I had to keep mine at 40ppm to keep the BBA at a minimum. There's really no way to say exactly how much you'll need either. THe diffusion method, surface agitation, and many other factors have an effect on how much co2 is used.

Alright I'm going to hope for the best tomorrow. And also try to read up more just in case.

Thanks.

I run at 50 - 60 ppm on a 40breeder. I would consider myself lucky if I got 3 months out of a 5lbs.

Yikes why so high? I thought that can be harmful to fish if it gets up to 60ppm?

Indicators turn yellow at 70 ppm. I run mine high because the fish can take it and I've got pretty significant light in the tank. Im definitely on the high end of the co2 spectrum though.

So I stopped by Nature Aquarium in Santa Monica. It is a very clean store with many fishes to choose from. He has hard to find species as well as your common ones. Price was higher than your other LFS but his knowledge, honesty, and enthusiasm makes you want to go back and spend more $$$. Customers are constantly asking for his input and he is happy to share it. He doesn't care if they don't buy anything and has the customers interest first. In fact there were a few times he recommended a cheaper alternative. Explaining they all do the same thing, so spending more money doesn't make sense. Besides fishes he has wide selection of plants to choose from. A great place to pick up hard to find plants and common plants. It is one of a kind place.

deepbluegoldeneyeshrimp.jpg

Example of price. I overheard a customer asking about his Blue Tiger Shrimp. He said they are $30 each. :eek: I don't know how rare they are, but I've never seen one in any other LFS. While his RCS are $3.99 each.

I ended up purchasing my CO2 kit from him and he installed everything for me. All I had to do was put the diffuser in my tank and turn it on. He ran out of CO2 indicator so he gave me a starting point. He advised me to test my PH level first. After 7-8 hours do another PH test and if it drops .5 it should be good. If it drops anymore then too much CO2 is being released. The bubble counter 4-5 bubbles per second should suffice. My regulator can take either 20 ounce paintball tank or 5 pound cylinder. All I have to do is unscrew the adapter. I ended up using the 20 ounce paintball tank.

He said a 20 ounce should last 2-3 months in a 40 gallon breeder. Since I was skeptical, he asked me to borrow a friends 20 ounce and use it first as a test to see how long it would last. He said if I like the 20 ounce or decide to go to a 5 pound cylinder I can get it cheaper either online or somewhere else. He never tried to use persuasion or pressured me to buy it.

I'll definitely go back to him for plants, fish, or equipment if I end up getting a second tank. (y)

Here are a few pics I secretly took while he was busy with customers.

imag0124vn.jpg
imag0126d.jpg

imag0127e.jpg
imag0129m.jpg

Sounds like a great store. It's always nice to see a store have tanks that live up to the expectations of serious enthusiasts... and it looks like they have just that.

I have one issue with my diffuser. I'm not sure if it is leaking...

I thought the CO2 was supposed to come out of the white top in the glass?

I see bubbles coming from only the side.

This pic isn't my diffuser but I'm using it as an example.

ANS%20CO2%20Diffuser%20Nano%203.jpg

Okay, it's confirmed it is a leak.

Time to exchange the diffuser tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom