Need SMALL Venturi !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RandyStacyE

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if anyone knows of a great functioning, good priced, venturi. I need to convert my protein skimmer into a venturi skimmer.

The Problem:
My skimmer was designed to be a “hang on” skimmer operated by a Rio pump. Looks very similar to a SeaLife skimmer. The skimmer works great as a hang on because the water level in the tank is high, though when I hung this skimmer on my sump, the water level is lower in comparison. The Rio pump will not draw in air and push air/water mix up to the skimmer unless water is equalized like when it is hanging on my aquarium.

If I placed the skimmer into the sump, I don’t gain much. I will either have to create a box (placed high) to put the Rio pump in (fed by my overflow), or feed my skimmer with the Rio and use venturi to inject the air.

I would try a Maxi Jet 1200 powerhead with a venturi kit. This is available from Premium Aquatics who is also a sponsor of this site. I have a small skimmer in my sump on the 20g tank. It came with a Rio 200 I think. I changed to the MJ1200 with the venturi kit...big difference. In a skimmer the size you're talking about, I don't think you're going to have enough pressure to adequately operate a venturi on the pressure side of the pump.

I'll look up that powerhead now. I thought Rio pumps do a good job pushing with pressure. I do know that they can not push air/water mixture with pressure, it just cavitates and can't produce volume in that circumstance.

Back
Top Bottom