Need some advice -- Goldfish & pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokefan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gal tank with 2 small Ryukin goldfish and 1 small sized oranda and 1 med sized oranda goldfish. My question is my PH stays at 8-8.1 and from what I have read goldfish like 7.5 Since my PH stays steady should I just leave it alone? My Tap water test at 8-8.1 Ph
Thanks

If the fish are happy, just leave it the way it is. They get used to the way it is and don't care.

Goldies are very dirty fish and need much more water volume to balance that... I don't think you have a large enough tank for 4 goldfish.

How are your other parameters?

Everything else is fine just a higher PH than what is prime. I was always told to figure about 10gal per fish on goldies. One of the Ryukins will be leaving in about 6 months when my daughter leaves to go off to college. So that figures out to about 10 gal per fish. 3 of them are about 2 inches long and the larger one is aprox. 3 inches long. Just don't want to mess things up. When I was a kid I had a 30 gal tank with cichlids and didn't do anything besides partial water changes and never had any issues to speak of they all lived about 8yrs. Just want to make sure I do things right LOL .
Here are my parameters
PH-8.0
Nitrate-5.0
Nitrite-0ppm
Ammonia-0ppm

Last edited:
Goldfish will be fine in your water, I'd leave the pH alone.

29 will be a little small when those goldfish grows up. You can prob manage till they get 3-4" each ... but at 6-8" full grown, you will want at least a 75gal. <10 gal per fish is also a bad "rule", it depends on tank shape, depth, etc. Eg. you can stock more in a 40 gal breeder due to its larger surface area. Your 29, being a tall tank, you can stock less.>

For now, just watch the parameters & do your pwc's. If you find the nitrates going up or any accumulation of ammonia or nitrites, you know the tank capacity is being exceeded & time for a new tank.

Back
Top Bottom