Need some advice with Black Ghost Knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lars1985

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys it has been a while since I have posted, but I am retiring the 20 gallon. It is at my parents house in a different town so my parents care for it as long as I buy supplies.

I am moving to a permanent residence soon and I would like to get a 75 gallon tank on craigslist. I figure it would be around 200 for the tank.

I want a Black Ghost Knife fish when the time comes. There are around 15 bucks here and the freeze dried blood worms are not that expensive.

I would like to transport the fish from my 20 gallon to my new 75 gallon tank, but it is a community tank.

Stock in the 20 gallon is:

1-2 platys
3 Ghost Cats
2 Guppies
Various tetras
Bistlenose Pleco

I am guessing the answer is going to be that the ghost knife will kill all my existing fish :(

Well,

I have a Black Ghost Knife in my 55 gallon. He's small right now (about 4 inches or so). When he outgrows that tank, I'll either upgrade or donate him to the LFS. Anyways, here's what I have in with him:

1 African Butterfly Fish
1 Pleco
2 Angelfish
2 Serpae Tretras
2 Rosy Barbs

He's been really active lately (out and about even during the day). To date (about three months now), he's never messed with any of my smaller fish. Now, this might change when he gets larger. I would be a little worried about my tetras (rosy barbs get close to 4"), but right now everything is peaceful. If I ever see any nastiness going down, I'll separate them. Another thing I should bring up is that you should stay away from getting any more bottom dwellers, as they may become territorial.

Up to this point, I can say that the BGK is one of, if not the coolest fish I have ever laid eyes on. Mine is really friendly and peaceful. He ate out of my hand the first day I brought him home.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom