Need some advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skywhitney

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am wanting to start a planted tank (never had one other than a regular tank with a live fern in it) and would like to know what some of your opinions are one the best plants for a new guy would be. Any help would be highly appreciated!

Hi SkyWhitney,

It all depends on your tank size, Lighting and what kind of maintenance you're willing to do. also, what kind of fish you have.

sorry i should have included that in the original post.
I am looking at starting a 20 gal long with just some small guys like tetras, maybe some otos or corys, small stuff like that.

As far as lighting goes i don't know much about the pros and cons of the different kinds so that is something i will be researching but could also use advise on, to at least get started in the right direction.

maintenance isn't a super big deal to me, i don't want something that will take me hours of work every day but some work 2-3 times a week is definitely do-able.

bruinsbro1997 said:
For most plants, a dual fixture T5HO will let you have a lot of options on which plant you wan to choose for your tank.

My experience supports this. I have two 54w T5HO bulbs in the 6700k range. Sand substrate, 155g FW tank.
I use some ferts, pressurized CO2, and supplement with carbon.
My plants are doing great, growing fast.
I have a school of 20 red tail rasbora that help me fertilize. LOL

I have to dissent on this one. A T5HO fixture on a 20 long, which is only 12" tall, will need CO2 without further modifications. Even with CO2 it would probably fall under excessive.

I would suggest either the Marineland LED setup (for a decently large amount of light), a T5NO fixture, or a 2xT8 setup.

What exactly do you want to do with this tank? Heavily planted, sparsely planted, something in between? What kind of plants, etc?

Good point, aqua chem. You're right. My 155 g tank is tall and of completely different dimensions. I failed to think of that!

I have to dissent on this one. A T5HO fixture on a 20 long, which is only 12" tall, will need CO2 without further modifications. Even with CO2 it would probably fall under excessive.

I would suggest either the Marineland LED setup (for a decently large amount of light), a T5NO fixture, or a 2xT8 setup.

What exactly do you want to do with this tank? Heavily planted, sparsely planted, something in between? What kind of plants, etc?

OOH my bad, I thought it said 20 High! :oops:

I do agree with you on the lights.

And I do agree with you one what we need to know.

I want to go with a moderate to heavily planted tank. i would like the bottom carpeted and plenty of leafy flowing plants to provide cover for the fish. As far as the types of plants i'm not to sure yet buy i was thinking of using Glossostigma or baby tears for the ground coverage but i heard that the Gloss was kinda tough for a beginner so i need to research that more. For the leafy plants so far i've only really looked at jave ferns and swordtails.

One other option would be a single t5ho bulb. But as mentioned, it really depends on how high tech you want to take it. If you plan to use pressurized co2 and regular fert dosing then go with a dual bulb t5ho, if not then look at something less intense.

One other option would be a single t5ho bulb. But as mentioned, it really depends on how high tech you want to take it. If you plan to use pressurized co2 and regular fert dosing then go with a dual bulb t5ho, if not then look at something less intense.

I don't know if I would even put a 2xT5HO on a 20 long with CO2. A 1x would definitely be high light IMO, even if it were raised a few inches.

I agree with that in general but I think a lot depends on the overall fixture quality as well. Throw some FNI or catalinas on there and definitely overkill but a cheap oddysea with the el cheapo bulbs probably won't be nearly as demanding.

I've done pretty good staying in the medium range (no co2) on 20L hanging a single t5ho basic reflector (sunblaze i think?) hydroponic type grow light right on top.

I agree with that in general but I think a lot depends on the overall fixture quality as well. Throw some FNI or catalinas on there and definitely overkill but a cheap oddysea with the el cheapo bulbs probably won't be nearly as demanding.

I've done pretty good staying in the medium range (no co2) on 20L hanging a single t5ho basic reflector (sunblaze i think?) hydroponic type grow light right on top.

When you say hanging, how far off the tank is it? But yea, one bulb with a so-so reflector is about the max I would possibly recommend.

Approximately 2-3" up. I intended to raise it more if I had issues but never had any problems. I do believe the results were favorable primarily due to the lack of PAR by that particular fixture.

Right now i'm using a 15 watt T8 on my 10 gallon and it seems to be doing the job ok.

Back
Top Bottom