Need some help with stubby plants...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrewz00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Take a look at the pic below... notice the plants on the left side of the tank are much smaller? Any ides as to why? Ask questions, im not sure what detail you will want.

Could it be water flow? temperature? Bad bulbs?

tNNeQ.jpg

The plants look healthy so really that is all that matters. The bulbs probably aren't bad but how old are they and if the plants were all planted at the same time then just chalk it up to the right side of the tank obviously suits their needs better. But really plants don't all grow at the same rate/speed. This is very common. I put 3 crypts in a tank recently and every one of them are a different size. But they are all growing and look healthy which is what matters most. Give the smaller ones time they will grow and catch up.

what size tank and how old is the bulb? also, W hat do you feed your plants. Do you use root tabs? dry ferts?

Last edited:
what size tank and how old is the bulb? also, W hat do you feed your plants. Do you use root tabs? dry ferts?

its a 90gal... no co2...

occasionally dose with Seachem flourish and flourish excel...

has 2 fluval 6,700°K T-5 HO life-glo bulbs that are about 5yrs old...

yes all plants were planted at the same time... no direct sunlight.. does get indirect but the entire tank gets the same amount.

would temperature matter that much? the heater is on the side of the tank that is growing the slowest... but it sits right next to the filter intake so it gets distributed pretty evenly

Well your bulbs way need replacing! There really is no rhyme or reason sometimes to individual plant growth. Seriously individual plants grow at their own pace and rarely do my "same" species plants grow at the exact same pace. I noticed all those plants across the front of the tank are shorter than those couple really tall ones in the back. Is your light fixture sitting more over them? Its just guessing at this point but something you could do is add a root tab to each of the smaller plants for a boost. Also Excel works better when used daily since it only stays in the water 12-24 hours before totally breaking down.

Agreed! Definitely replace your bulbs!! Most are only good for a year at most I believe. That will make a difference also.

Back
Top Bottom