Need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarahharris22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, so I have a 20 gal tank that I just set up about 3 weeks ago, I'm really new to all this, I have a tropical freshwater tank with 3 guppies and 3 Molly fish as well as 2 ghost shrimp and an albino Pleco. One of my female fish just had 12 fry and there being kept in a breeder box. I was wondering what should all my levels be as far as nitrates/nitrites and pH level? And as far as I know the ammonia should be above .02 ppm

Its exciting when you get fry and even more exciting when your fry grow up (aside from the massive population explosion of live bearers) :)

The ammonia and nitrite levels should ideally be at 0 with the nitrate being below 40ppm.

First I would look at getting an API master test kit which will allow you to test for everything you currently need to an dis more accurate than the test strips which is what I am assuming you are using.

Whenever you have an above .25ppm reading on ammonia or nitrite you will need to do a water change, especially with fry in the tank because they are really sensitive to those.

I would read up on this link when you get a chance.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Yeah my fry babies are just lovely! I went ahead and did a 50% water change cause my water was looking really cloudy and my fish were acting weird and that helped the cloudiness and myFish are back to acting normal. Thank you so much for your help

Back
Top Bottom