Need suggestions for: Skimmer, Supplments, And livestock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

Sadly my local stores have a sad choice of skimmers: Ethier really big red sea stuff for $106+ for huge tanks, or the little skitlers which i suspected were crap, and apparently are for $39.99. Can anyone appoint me to a decent skimmer for a 10g nano?

As well, what supplments might be good to keep on hand (calicum?) that i might want to stock before hand for problems that arise with new tanks, in nanos, or are just useful?

Also, am i pushing it with a pygmy angel (most likely the brazilian half flame), three hermits, a star (of style not chosen), and two other fish? (Thinking a rainsford goby and maybe a small damsel or cardinal as well.) Bad choices? To much? Suggestions on the star?

This is also without any idea of coral choices let, still looking into what the local stores offer there. As well, is 9lbs of live rock decent for this size?

Once again, thanks in advance and pardon the spelling! Tend to type these as i'am thinking. :)

I can't help at all with the skimmer part sorry

well you shouldn't need supplements right off the start. Buy a master test kit and check your water, if you are using and treating tap you may not have to add supplements at all. If you have to dose my LFS recommends the Kent line. I've no experience with them but i know seachem makes great FW ferts so i'd imagine they had the same quality for their SW stuff. The stickies on this board and articles HERE will tell you all about the levels you should want for a reef.

If this is all going into a 10gallon nano i think an angel is going to be way to much for it. Usually for 10gals your limited to gobies (1), damsels/clowns (1 or perhaps 2 if you wanted a full tank with no other fish), cardnials are ok (watch the spotted/pajama they can eat inverts) and perhaps a bleeny (once tank is established and has proper food source for them). The star if you get one should be a sand sifter type so it won't eat your corals. Your current list is way too much for a 10gal to handle sorry.

as for choice of corals that all depends on your lighting and your water movement you'd have to list those for more advice

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Sadly my local stores have a sad choice of skimmers: Ethier really big red sea stuff for $106+ for huge tanks, or the little skitlers which i suspected were crap, and apparently are for $39.99. Can anyone appoint me to a decent skimmer for a 10g nano?
In all honestly, you can get by without a skimmer in a 10gal tank. Smaller tanks require more frequent water changes and that will help with DOC removal. Instead of a skimmer, you could look into a small HOB fuge.
As well, what supplments might be good to keep on hand (calicum?) that i might want to stock before hand for problems that arise with new tanks, in nanos, or are just useful?
For a 10gal tank the answer is...NONE. With frequent water changes there will be no need to supplement anything into the tank. Dosing supplements and additives in small tanks is a dangerous venture. There is so little water volume that even the slightest mistake could prove catastrophic.
Also, am i pushing it with a pygmy angel (most likely the brazilian half flame), three hermits, a star (of style not chosen), and two other fish? (Thinking a rainsford goby and maybe a small damsel or cardinal as well.) Bad choices? To much? Suggestions on the star?
there are really no Centropyge sp angels that will be appropriate for a 10gal tank. Most require a minimum of 30gal. I would also not consider a damsel for this, they are aggressive fish and with not much real estate they will terrorize any else in the tank. I can not think of a star that is suitable for a 10gal tank. Sorry for the bad news.

I would look at clown gobies or a small ocelaris clown as fish options. Tow fish max. Instead of the star, look at a skunk shrimp or a fire shrimp. Reef hermits an snails will be fine.
This is also without any idea of coral choices let, still looking into what the local stores offer there. As well, is 9lbs of live rock decent for this size?
What are you thinking about for a lighting system? What type of corals do you wish to keep? If you want corals down the road, then the angel would be out anyways...they are NOT reef safe. 9lbs of LR is a good start, but I recommend 15-20lbs total for the proper amount of biological filtration. Also...what are you using for a substrate?

I have a fission nano skimmer I bought for my 9 GAL. It never stopped making micro bubbles. Some day I'll try to modify it. I agree with flip_lx PWC is the answer for the skimmer and supplements.

Here is a list of what I have in my nano and why. MTS is a way of life for me.
1 engeering goby (moves sand)
2 True Percula clowns (very active always in your face)
1 Tube Anemone (for color)
1 peppermint shrimp (eats Aiptasia)
1 Tiger Cowrie (eats algae and diatoms)
1 Nerite Snail (eats algae, cyanobacteria, diatoms, and film algae off the glass)

I keep Seachem Garlic Guard http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1, Kent Marine Zoe Marine http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1 and Selcon http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1 to soak my frozen food in. The garlic helps boost the fish's immune systems and the other two are added nutrience. I would suggest to purchase the test kit for what ever else you decide to dose for. Unless your coral load is more than your salt mix can handle, regular PWCs should keep your water in great shape and you shouldn't have to dose anything.

I have a nano as well and one thing I can tell you is that you will need to keep up with your water changes. I do 2 a week on mine. A small tank can foul easily. I agree with what Lando has said.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom