Need Tall background plant for sand substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need some recommendations for an easy, tall background plant to go in my new 29 Gallon. I want to stay low tech. Preferably something that is known to grow fine in a plain pool filter sand substrate. I currently have Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, and Anacharis (which is not growing quite as fast as people claim it does.) The only supplement I use at the moment is Seachem Excel every other day.

Thanks in advance!

Jungle Val...but they are sensitive to Excel.

Crypt balansae ❤️❤️

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1. I would also do vals but like coursair said they are sensitive to excel.
Some types of hygros will do good. I have willow hygro growing in pool filter sand with med light and no supplements.

Thanks guys. I'm thinking Jungle Val seems like the best option. If I go easy on the Excel for awhile, is it possible that it will acclimate to it? I already dose only every other day because of the Anacharis. And even then, I don't think I'm even using the full dose for my tank size.

I recently added Brazilian pennywort and it grows very nicely and quickly! It will grow right up to the surface and out of the tank if you let it! You can easily replant the cuttings and since they have aerial roots the substrate doesn't matter

Ludwigia repens, Pennywort, Sunset hygro are three nice plants i have that have grown well. I do dirted substrate though so it may help, but ludwigia is hardy as is pennywort. Not sure on the susnet hygro but it is a nice plant and has exploded for me in two months in a low tech dirted setup. I'd try to maybe have 3-4 types of plant across the background with different looking leaf types. Some watersprite would also fill in quickly. If you wanted something large leaved then a sword of some sort would go nicely i think.

I like the look of the penny wort. I think I've ruled out the jungle val for now. I like the simplicity of plants that can just float or be stuck somewhere without worrying about roots feeding in the substrate. I'll look into Ludwigia too.

Back
Top Bottom