need to get rid of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovefishies

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi i need to get rid of my 10 gallon tank with my 3 guppies in it because hubbie said it runs the electric bill up, i dont see how it does:( i am sad right now that i have to get rid of it and my 3 guppies i raised from babies and saved from the ick

well then dont get rid of it!!!!! the lights dont take up that much electricity, nor do the filters do they guys?!? but i guess every little bit helps, tell him to stop watching TV!!!(lol) sorry to hear that.....

Nice site there coldmachine. Easy calculator to use.

I was going to bust out some crazy math to prove that a small aquarium uses hardly any electricity at all, but you've got me beat.

And just to throw this in, your heater, which is likely a 50W probably doesn't stay on all that long each day so make sure not to select 24 hours on that one.

I suggest you tell him to bugger off. Excuse my language. If my spouse tried to tell me to get rid of something i loved, s/he'd have another thing coming.

On a more personal note, I do not think that the electric bill OR the fish are the problem here.

If you just put 1 more t-shirt in the washing machine every time you use it, 1 more plate in the dishwasher instead of leaving a small gap, you reduse the lighting of the house in a total of 50W (easy task) you will be able to even keep another tank!!! Ah!! and put your PC to hibernate a bit faster than it does. I´m sure that NOT doing all the above things do not gives you the satisfaction your guppies give you!!

Also, if he insists that a light and filter use up that much electricity, get a betta fish instead. If you're doing weekly water changes, all you need is a small heater and your betta will do just fine. How could he argue with that if the problem is really the electric bill?

It sounds like a tough situation -- good luck with everything.

i may be out of line, but it sounds like he just wants to get rid of them, i doubt electricty is the reason

Maybe I'm jaded with what happenned here recently...but this is like the 3rd or 4th time lovefishes has posted her husband is making her get rid of this tank. She once tried to sell this setup for like $150.

Lovefishes - it just seems that your husband resents your aquarium. Take your time (like FOREVER) getting rid of it. Its not fair that you can't enjoy a hobby.

It's his excuse to get rid of something. I hear it on a weekly basis from my girlfriend about my six aquariums. Instead of the electrical bill (included in rent) she complains about the water bill. It went up a whole $1 when I was setting up three tanks at the same time and washing about 100lbs of sand/substrate. It was just her way of saying "I don't approve and you have to get rid of them" without directly saying it.

Now I have a 40g breeder sitting in the front room waiting for a stand. She has two choices, live with it or leave. She has two cats that roam the entire house, I can have fish tanks in ONE room.

With SIX tanks, two without filters, I came up with about $100 a year in electrical use. That's less than $1 a month. Just give him a quarter and tell him the extra electricity is paid for with interest.

When people use water or electricity as an excuse to tell you to get rid of a tank, it usually is because they are jelous that you can do something they can't. Ironically, in truth they can, they just need to spend time here at AA and do some research.

And with that calculator, remember to divide by 12 to get monthly payment.

Burks said:
With SIX tanks, two without filters, I came up with about $100 a year in electrical use. That's less than $1 a month.

No offense Burks, but your math is just a little off there.

hmmmm my man or my fish? Just tell him he's not the boss of you. Sometimes you gotta put your foot down.

I hope this is not way out of line but I think this issue goes well beyond the fish in to something that none of us here can comprehend without being in the situation. I hope all is well for the OP and that they seek help if they are in need of it.

-Pleco

Pleco - well said - I would tend to agree (not that I disagree with any of the other posts - because I think they are spot on also)

I would find the fish a good home; sounds like they deserve that much. Pleco is right ppl- some things in life are more important than fish keeping.
Practically thou, I worked out the math one time and for my two tanks ( a 20 gallon and 10 gallon) running, it costs roughly 12 dollars a month to keep them running, not counting filter replacements, etc. So yeah, I see where your husband is coming from. I would not use that calculator though, as your husband goes by the numbers on his monthly electric bill. So using that to to calulate the cost, then telling him would not hold any weight in his mind.
Therefore, I advise that you do what I did one afternoon. On your electricity bills, look for how much it costs kW/Hr, which means kilo-watt per hour. A kilo is multiplier of 1000 so take that into consideration into adding up your bill. It's just like counting the cost before installing that nice looking fridge or air conditioner. Simple math with a pencil, paper, and a good eraser can really help you prove whether it is worth its cost of upkeep. Just my 5 cents....

I hope this is not way out of line but I think this issue goes well beyond the fish in to something that none of us here can comprehend without being in the situation. I hope all is well for the OP and that they seek help if they are in need of it.

-Pleco

I agree completely-there has been a pattern here and I do worry about you, lovefishies. Take care of yourself--

physicsdude said:
Pleco is right ppl- some things in life are more important than fish keeping.

while that is true, physics, it is not fair to the fish or any animal, if you buy it, its your responsibility, i agree, a good home should be found for them

physicsdude said:
Pleco is right ppl- some things in life are more important than fish keeping.

That's true but what kind of respect is that showing your significant other? You know that their hobby is near and dear to their heart yet you still want them to just drop it? Doesn't sound very nice to me.

I'm sorry but no matter how much I love someone they have no right to tell me to drop a hobby I love with a lame reason. Now if he/she was allergic to a cat I had or my hobby was causing REAL money problems, I can see the point.

And the whole electrical thing, it varies month by month. Unless you see a solid pattern going on the extra raise in the bill could be a large number of things. The fish tank was probably the easiest excuse.

Back
Top Bottom